My first AG done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kephren

Reaction score
So after reading all of the AG threads, I figured it sounded easy enough and I should at least give it a shot. Got me a 5 gal cooler and a false bottom (and a free beer to boot) from my HBS and a decent sounding steam beer recipe. I figured it would be a bunch of trouble, but the only problem I had was all the warnings from the people that already do AG (don't get discouraged, the first time never works out quite right.) Blah! I got my mash going. The temp in the cooler came out a little low (140) but that was easily fixed by adding 1/2 gal of boiling water. I did an iodine test at 45 minutes and had no change of color at all. I mashed out 6.5 gallons and boiled it up. Two more firsts - my first time w/o a boil-over (woo-hoo!) and my first time using whole hops rather than pellets. There was a noticeable difference in aroma and I hope taste. Got my wort chiller in and cooled it down to 78 in about 15 minutes. Took my OG (another first - never used a hydrometer before) and got a reading of 1.050 at 76 degrees, so I figure about 1.052 which is right in the range I was shooting. Pitched my Wyeast California Lager yeast at 75 degrees (from a starter - another first... always just pitched from the tube).

So... everything went EXACTLY like it was supposed to, which has never happened before. The only place I could go wrong is infection, and the odds of that are minimal. Either I'm getting better or the beer gods are toying with me and I'm gonna find an inch of mold on my beer tomorrow :p

Thanks everyone for all the advice! It really helped.

Rock on, man! I think you'll really like the AG, whole hops and fast start from the starter. Sounds like a great brew day! :)

I love it when a plan comes together. :D

Very nice man, congrats. I hope to make the changeover before long.

My plan is to let my friend, esteemed member orrelse do all the research, footwork, and equipment buying, then make him show me how to do it. :D Hats off to you for taking the plunge.

This brewing thing is addictive, isn't it?

Sam

I just racked this from the secondary into the keg. It's crystal clear and tastes incredible! I can't wait for a chilled, carbonated sample. FG was 1.008. It's the first time I've used irish moss and it seems to have done a pretty good job a clearing up the beer. When I pulled the carboy out of the closet this morning, there were little white flecks on top of the beer. At first, I thought it might be mold, but it looks like the same stuff that sank to the bottom. I figure some of it must have floated to the top (maybe on suspended CO2) and stayed there because of surface tension. When I stuck the racking cane into it, the bits sank to the bottom. If it were mold, it would have stayed floating. Anyhow, the beer tastes great - pretty hoppy with a wonderful hoppy/flowery aroma. IMHO, it's even better than Anchor Steam, which I was trying to clone. It's AG from here on out, baby!

So I got this beer on tap (See message 1) and had a miserable day at work. This, by far, is the best brew I have ever made. I could drink it until I pass out, but that just wouldn't be civilized.
I get home today and draw myself a pint. Perfect head with tiny little bubbles... you would think it came from a nitro tap. I can't even explain the feeling after finishing a pint. Not drunk, but not even caring about work now. Wow.. that sweet and hoppy aftertaste is amazing!
Problem is, I promised I would bring a keg to a cinco de mayo party and I want to bring this. There is only about 3.5 gallons left, and at 2 pints a day, I'm not gonna have enough. Tough dilemma... do I indulge, or exercise some self restraint? I have an extract Oktoberfest carbonating now, but it's not gonna be nearly as good as this!
Sorry for the rambling... guess I am a *little* drunk. :)

it's cool hu? just wait, the second and third batch is even better than than the first. you'll flow better every time you brew, which makes it even more addicting. then you'll start to see more gadgets to buy to make brew day more fun!!!!! IT'S A BEAUTIFUL THING!!! IT'S ALL ABOUTTHE BEER, MAN. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BEER.......

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Kephren said:
Problem is, I promised I would bring a keg to a cinco de mayo party and I want to bring this.

I know what I would do...INDULGE! Especially if you're going to have a brew session between now and Cinco De Mayo. It is unthinkable for me to brew without enjoying a few pints of the fruit of my labors.

Disclaimer: Of course I had to learn the hard way when I transitioned to AG brewing that the extra time involved is more than enough to get absolutely ripped by the time I pitched the yeast (or on one particularly memorable occasion, forgot to pitch the yeast). My advice: Pace yourselves, lads.

i just did my first two all grain batches this weekend. i did a fat tire clone on saturday, and i did an ipa based on two hearted and liberty today. i used lots of grain and it was beautiful - and i used whole hops. the one strange thing was, i wanted to use a california ale yeast in both of them so i just bought one, made a starter in advance, and split it - but i got a slow start. is there any effect of a slow start vs a fast start?

phuzle said:
i just did my first two all grain batches this weekend. i did a fat tire clone on saturday, and i did an ipa based on two hearted and liberty today. i used lots of grain and it was beautiful - and i used whole hops. the one strange thing was, i wanted to use a california ale yeast in both of them so i just bought one, made a starter in advance, and split it - but i got a slow start. is there any effect of a slow start vs a fast start?

Hmmm..I'm intersted in how your Liberty and Fat Tire clones came out. My first AG batch is set for Monday. I "loosely" based a recipe for the first AG off of a Fat Tire cloner. I changed a bunch of stuff but I'm using Belgian malts.
Care to post the clone recipes you have? :D

so am i the only one here who has NEVER done an extract or partial mash brew? every beer i have made has been all grain.

and BTW, the first one came out awsome!!

congrats on your first AG

Back