First AG Double Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBug

Reaction score
Got a week off coming up and I plan on taking a day to do my first AG. So I wanted to run my recipe by you guys on the forum to make sure I'm on the right track. It is going to be an American IPA in a 6 gallon batch. I am using a 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler(stainless braid) as a MLT. My biggest uncertainty lies within the water volumes needed. I am using Beer Smith for calculations but I'm not all that familiar with it. Well here goes, please point out any trouble spots you may see or offer up any advice you may have.

Ingredients:
11.5 lb Maris Otter
1.0 lb Munich Malt
.75 lb Crystal Malt 40L

1.0 oz Warrior (60min)
.5 oz Cascade(60min)
1.5 oz Cascade(15min)
1.0 oz Cascade(5min)
1.0 oz Cascade(Dry hop in secondary)

Yeast: White Labs California Ale V

OG Estimate 1.062
FG estimate 1.016
IBU 63.5

Ok here is where I get confused... I believe I am attempting to do what Beersmith is calling a Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge. So I understand initially that at 1.25 gallon/pound of grain that I add 4.14 gallons of water at 170 degrees to achieve a step temperature of 154 degrees. I hold this for 60 mins, vorlauf and drain.

Now for the batch-sparge I used Beer Smith to calculate the water needed. It is saying, if I'm doing it right, that 1.59 gallons will be absorbed by the grain, that I should sparge with 4.97 gallons to achieve my pre-boil volume of 7.5 gallons.

As for the temperature for the sparge I can't find where that is calculated?? I am guessing about 180 degrees to achieve 168 degrees, hold for ten minutes, vorlauf and drain. Should that give me a preboil volume of 7.5 gallons??

Shooting for an optimistic 75% eff. Boiling off about a gallon, 6.5 gallon into the primary and 6 gallon into the secondary.

I guess my real trouble lies in the mash/batch sparge area and getting those calculations from Beer Smith or whatever is the best way.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

TheBug

You're right on track. That will give you your pre-boil volume of 7.5 gl. Your sprage temp sounds good. Be sure to heat a little extra water in case you miss your mash temps. Other than that you are good to go.
Have fun.

Got a week off coming up and I plan on taking a day to do my first AG. So I wanted to run my recipe by you guys on the forum to make sure I'm on the right track. It is going to be an American IPA in a 6 gallon batch. I am using a 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler(stainless braid) as a MLT. My biggest uncertainty lies within the water volumes needed. I am using Beer Smith for calculations but I'm not all that familiar with it. Well here goes, please point out any trouble spots you may see or offer up any advice you may have.

Ingredients:
11.5 lb Maris Otter
1.0 lb Munich Malt
.75 lb Crystal Malt 40L

1.0 oz Warrior (60min)
.5 oz Cascade(60min)
1.5 oz Cascade(15min)
1.0 oz Cascade(5min)
1.0 oz Cascade(Dry hop in secondary)

Yeast: White Labs California Ale V

OG Estimate 1.062
FG estimate 1.016
IBU 63.5

Ok here is where I get confused... I believe I am attempting to do what Beersmith is calling a Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge. So I understand initially that at 1.25 gallon/pound of grain that I add 4.14 gallons of water at 170 degrees to achieve a step temperature of 154 degrees. I hold this for 60 mins, vorlauf and drain.

Now for the batch-sparge I used Beer Smith to calculate the water needed. It is saying, if I'm doing it right, that 1.59 gallons will be absorbed by the grain, that I should sparge with 4.97 gallons to achieve my pre-boil volume of 7.5 gallons.

As for the temperature for the sparge I can't find where that is calculated?? I am guessing about 180 degrees to achieve 168 degrees, hold for ten minutes, vorlauf and drain. Should that give me a preboil volume of 7.5 gallons??

Shooting for an optimistic 75% eff. Boiling off about a gallon, 6.5 gallon into the primary and 6 gallon into the secondary.

I guess my real trouble lies in the mash/batch sparge area and getting those calculations from Beer Smith or whatever is the best way.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

TheBug
I dont have Beersmith, but Im sure someone will chime in soon to help you, best if luck in your AG brew:mug:

1.25 Quarts/lb's grain. Make sure you don't do gallons to lbs of grain. I think you know that though. A little tip. Start heating your sparge water right after you dough in. it takes some time to get up to temp, depending on your set up. Good luck and don't stress. It's a learning process. Cheers, Gabe

With three AG's under my belt, it may not mean much, but what your thinking looks good. Always be prepared with more extra hot water, and have some way to gauge your collected pre-boil volume and post-boil volume. First batch I was just a little over but 1 1/2 gallons. I also recommend having two good thermometers, in case one falls in the water and decides not to work any more, and make sure you take lots of notes and hydro readings. Don't freak out about it but it is very nice to look back on to decide if you need to improve anything.
Have fun.

TheBug

In beersmith go to your "Mash Profile" down near the bottom and click "Details", a window will pop up and make sure you check off the following:

1. Batch sparge using batches that fill XXX.XX% of the mash tun volume
2. Sparge using equal size batches
3. Drain the mash tun before starting to batch sparge.

Then, adjust your % of mash tun so that you get 2 equal sized sparges (Click "Preview Brewsheet" on the top to go over your process. You'll def. want to do 2 sparges if you're shooting for a 75% efficiency on your first try. Also, you can adjust your sparge water temp in this window. I suggest starting with 175-180*, make sure you get a temperature of the grainbed when you first stir the sparge water. You do not want to exceed 170*. Oh yeah, and make sure you are draining your initial runnings before adding sparge water and not doing a mashout (if so, ignore #3)

Not sure if you ordered your grains yet, but I'd put your brewhouse efficiency to 70% max on your first try unless you are very confident in yourself. It's better to be a little over & top off to hit your gravity, then to be under and, well, be up a creek.

Good luck, I wish I had a week off to brew.:mug:

Thanks guys!

Hehe, yes the 1.25 gallons was a typo. :)

Two sparges? So should I split the 4.97 gallon single sparge in two? I'm figuring the initial mash in volume is fixed by the 1.25 quarts/lb.

I aimed somewhat high on my grain bill already just in case. If I hit 75% it will be a 6% ABV brew, so even down to 5% I'd be happy for the style.

A little nervous but really looking forward to it. Had to take a break from PM brewing to save cash for the AG equipment so it's been a while and I can't wait to "play".;)

For two sparges yes, do not mash out, then measure how much more you need for your boil, break that in half and sparge twice.
Now I have only done this twice, for me the volume measurement was an "issue". If I got this right it's infusion, stir WELL, wait 5-10 minutes. Give the water time to absorb the sugars. Then batch sparge.
Hope this helps.

Thanks guys!

Hehe, yes the 1.25 gallons was a typo. :)

Two sparges? So should I split the 4.97 gallon single sparge in two? I'm figuring the initial mash in volume is fixed by the 1.25 quarts/lb.

I aimed somewhat high on my grain bill already just in case. If I hit 75% it will be a 6% ABV brew, so even down to 5% I'd be happy for the style.

A little nervous but really looking forward to it. Had to take a break from PM brewing to save cash for the AG equipment so it's been a while and I can't wait to "play".;)

Yes you'll want to split the 4.97 into two equal sized sparges.
For initial mash I use 1.25 qt/lb... for Sparge I use 1.3 qt/lb (you tell beersmith what to use, that's where it came up with 4.97). I get about 6 gal total preboil because I have a small pot. The other day I missed my preboil volume by around 1 qt, which to me is great, just top off with a little water and OG is barely affected. Like I said before too, you'll probably want to put your brewhouse efficiency to 70% and scale up on the grains a little bit. Beersmith has a nice scale feature up at the top.

If you have any other questions, check out the link in Bobby_M's signature for well written instructions on this stuff.

Back