Goose Island Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I went up to the Cubs game and of course had to stop by the Goose Island brewery to have a few before the game. I ended up having a Honker's Ale (given when visiting) and tried the Imperial IPA. What an amazing beer! It is very drinkable for an imperial. I really would want to try to make something similar to this, or maybe another Imperial IPA. Here's their description:

At Goose Island we live and die by hops, so breaking the rules meant pushing the hop limit to the extreme to create this monster Imperial IPA. We took three of our favorite hops, Tettnanger, Simcoe, and Cascade, and balanced their spiciness with tons of malt. Them we went back and dumped in MORE HOPS and more malt until this beer was exploding with flavor...strong enough to wake the dead and filled with more bitterness than a woman scorned. This Imperial IPA is absolutely gigantic, you’ll smell the hops from about a yard away. What will surprise you is how incredibly drinkable it is. Pair it up with the saltiest blue cheese you can find, and go nuts.

I happen to have these hops and want to try to make some kind of clone or just something close to this. The ABV is 9.0%. I'm trying to figure out IBUs but haven't stumbled across that info yet.

Ok I just figured out the IBUs come out to 90. SRM is 12.
Any recommendations on steeping grains to use for something like this?

I'm very interested in your question also.

This is my first post - I've been thinking about homebrewing for about 15 years, and the current price of a 6-pack of the Goose Island IPA ($9.50) provided the recent nudge I needed to start. It's so damn fine it's all I can bring myself to buy these days. I feel like I'm slumming it when 'forced' to drink Sam Adams (which I'm buying for bottle-supply needs only).

I've got a batch of True Brew IPA I'm fretting over as my inaugural brew, which I'm a little afraid I'll be disappointed in. The local home brew store (Perfect Brewing Supply in Libertyville, IL) has a clone kit of the Honkers Ale...I'll ask next time I'm in if they've got some insight on the IPA.

I think he went to the brewery after... if you bought that stuff at a ball game, it'd probably cost you 14 bucks for a 16oz cup, considering how much they charge for Pi.... er, bud light.

Back