Home Brew Tasting at the Brew Hut!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On the third Thursday of every other month, The Brew Hut here in Colorado hosts a Home Brew Tasting. I believe the next one is on March 20th and starts at about 6PM. (I will check on this to make sure.) This is a fun get together and you get to sample a LOT of different home brew.

I am wondering if anyone might be interested in getting together that evening. I would love to meet some fellow Coloradan HBTrs! :mug:

Sorry Rich, it's just a bit out of my way, otherwise I'd try to make it and not leave you hanging.

Brewtopia and I run into the same thing out here. It's a PITA to get any local HBT members to meet up.

Bernie Brewer said:
Come on out, Rich! We'd love to have you! 'Course you'd have to get rid of the Rockies and Broncos stuff!:) :)
Now that ain't happening! You will have to take me with my Bronco stuff! Especially the super Bowl XXXII stuff! :D

Anyone else going to make it? It's a good time with lots of beer. They even have a small brewbub in the back with good beers.
I'll be there a little after 6. :mug:

Rich,

I am going to try to make this.

jds,

I hope to be able to meet up with you and try your American Rye.

Damn, didn't see this until today, but driving 45-60 minutes to drink a bunch of beer and then have to get home sounds difficult...

I'm leaving for TBH now! Just need to print out some stuff, so I don't get all excited and come home with 3x as much grain as I intended...

I thought I'd share some pics.
There was a few beers there for us to sample!
TBH_3.JPG

A lot of people showed up. Steve runs the place. He is the guy in the back!
TBH_2.JPG

I went out to get my camera and these guys were standing out side. They asked me what was going on and I told them there was a home brew tasting and to come on in. They asked me if there was a brew pub around and I told them it was in the back of the shop. I suggested they go through the home brew store and sample some beers on their way to the pub. About two hours later I see them walking out of the store with a beer kit! They were looking for a beer and ended up home brewers! :mug:
Edit: Dude, Do you recognize that growler?
TBH_5.JPG

Thanks, RichBrewer, for the warm welcome. This was my first tasting at TBH, and I will return. I sampled a lot of good homebrew, and talked with a lot of nice people.

Rich's Scottish 80/- was one of the standout beers for me. I also learned a few things from tasting lots of other beers, both on the table and in Dry Dock Brewing's taproom, next door. I particularly learned that Turbinado sugar doesn't work for me in an IPA, and that dispensing IPA from a nitro tap is a waste of nitro, if there's a stout around.

Wayne1 has lots of great brewing war stories to tell, and Dismantle360 and I heard some good ones. Also, Dismantle360's stout went to prove that new brewers can make some very fine beer, and that the kits from The Brew Hut are well-done.

Cheers, gentlemen!

It was great fun meeting RichBrewer, jds and Dismantle36o at the tasting.

Dismantle360 brought his FIRST homebrew and it was GREAT!

I think he has a very bright future ahead of him in homebrewing.

jds' American Rye was really tasty. I think with just a little tweaking and a different yeast the recipe would be truly killer.

RichBrewer's beers were the cleanest tasting at the event. It didn't surprise me to learn he uses StarSan ;) I feel that if he changed his recipe for the Brown all to use English Chocolate Malt rather than Briess, he would clean up in any competion he entered.

Brew Hut is THE most complete HB store I have ever seen. I am envious of RichBrewer and Dismantle360 living ony a couple of miles away. jds and I are about 30 miles away. There is another HB shop closer, but it has no where near the selection of goodies. Fully converted Gott coolers for mashing, Marsh pumps, multiple variations of stainless steel kettles, all the fittings and connectors one could want, and a VAST assortment of parts for any kind of keg. No to mention brewing ingredients.

RichBrewer said every time he goes into the BrewHut just to pick up $3.00 worth of grain, he walks out $25.00 poorer. I admire his restraint. If this store was closer to me, I know I would be dropping $100.00 each time I would go in.

It's a GOOD thing TBH is 30 miles away. Otherwise, I'd poorer, but richer for brewing.

It was great fun meeting everyone. and I want to add that JDS rye pale ale was awesome. It was a very nice drinkable beer. I'm thinking about brewing that one. I agree that Dismantle360's stout was amazingly good for his first beer. Very nice job.
Thanks guys for the nice comments on my beers and for showing up. :mug:

EDIT:- Dismantle360- You can start posting anytime now!

Thanks guys it was great meeting you all.

I must say that I have to agree with Wayne on the going in and always being about 100 bucks lighter in the wallet.

Anywho thanks for the complements on the virgin porter i will have to envite you guys over once the next brew i make is ready.

See you guys in April if not sooner.

Grrr....

I was a bit bummed about TBH's Sunday hours. They are nonexistent. I only found this out after I drove myself and the sprout all the way across Denver yesterday, hoping to score some grain for the Wit I'm brewing sometime in the next couple of weeks.

With gas going for what it does, it turns out to be pretty close to a wash for me to spend the $6.95 for shipping from Austin Homebrew Supply. Add in the time it takes to get across town, and I have a hard time justifying the drive on a regular basis. We need us a TBH West...

Back