Saphir Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went to my LHBS yesterday to buy supplies for today’s brew. The hop shortage finally caught up to me. My recipe for a Weizenbock calls for Tettnang hops. They were out and recommended trying Saphir. I haven’t been able to find too much information on these hops and was hoping for some help. How will they compare to the Tettnang? I have some Saaz, Fuggles, Perle and Hallertauer on hand. Would another substitute be better or is it worth experimenting with the Saphir? I was thinking of bittering with Perle and using the Saphir for flavor / amora. I did read that the Saphir adds a citrus flavor and I’m not sure how good that would be in a wheat.

Saphir is similar to Hallertauer. It's a Hallertau hybrid. Saaz is probably the best choice out of what you have. Saphir does have a bit of citrus, but nothing like the big 3 C's. Might be safer to use Fuggles for bittering, as Perle can be fruity.

Since many people like a slice of lemon with their wheats, may not be a bad mix.

Perle and Saphir would give you more citrus. I'd probably go with Fruggle and Saphir.

Well, just finished cleaning up. Didn't check back for reply till now. I went with the Perle. Hope I don't have five gallons of something that is not drinkable.

Did a 60 minute partial boil (2 1/2 gallons):
3/4 oz Perle @ start
1/2 oz Saphir @ 30 minutes
1/2 oz Saphire @ 5 minutes to go

The style (Weizenbock) calls for 15-30 IBU and this puts it at 25. The flavor, aroma should be an interesting experiment with the Saphire

It would be hard for me to imagine that a hop substitution would render a beer undrinkable. I think it probably turned out fine.
Cheers, Tim

Well, just finished cleaning up. Didn't check back for reply till now. I went with the Perle. Hope I don't have five gallons of something that is not drinkable.

Did a 60 minute partial boil (2 1/2 gallons):
3/4 oz Perle @ start
1/2 oz Saphir @ 30 minutes
1/2 oz Saphire @ 5 minutes to go

The style (Weizenbock) calls for 15-30 IBU and this puts it at 25. The flavor, aroma should be an interesting experiment with the Saphire

Just curious, how did this turn out?

Just curious, how did this turn out?
Took a look back at my log (from over three years ago),
but I didn't put in any tasting notes.
I remember it being a decent beer, but I haven't used Saphir hops since,
so it couldn't have been that good. :p

I've used Saphir in a number of beers and damned if I can say what it's like! Pretty benign... The Hallertauer comparison is probably about right...

Just used Saphir for flavor/aroma in a crazy experimental "Hoenigweizen" along with Tettnang and Hallertau.

Just used Saphir for flavor/aroma in a crazy experimental "Hoenigweizen" along with Tettnang and Hallertau. The Saphir smelled amazing. I'm only 5 days in, so no idea how it will come out.

Latest posts

Back