wild yeast cider and specific gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disschord

Reaction score
Hello again i started brewing a batch of cider about 2 weeks ago which i made with pressed apples and wild yeasts.
When do you guys think it will be ready for bottling, and what sort of SG am i looking for.

Once the yeast activity has died down keep taking gravity readings every few days until they more or less stabilize. Without knowing the yeast strain there is no way of knowing it's attenuation before hand.

Maybe see if any local resources know the common wild yeasts in your area and what they attenuate at.

EDIT - Did you already take a gravity reading after pressing?

unfortunatly i didnt take an sg reading at the start. I didnt know i had to until a few days ago.

disschord said:
unfortunatly i didnt take an sg reading at the start. I didnt know i had to until a few days ago.

I would figure 70% give or take, but without knowing the starting gravity all you can do is wait for it to stabilize.

Back