Brutus 10 Pressure Troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roryb

Reaction score
I'm in the process of designing a brutus 10 build and I can't get a firm grasp on the gas pressure (low or high) debate. I'm going to use the 2x2 SS tubing and plan to incorporate the gas beam. I plan on welding on the SS tees to make each of the three burner ports to begin with. The pilot light port will likely be plugged until I get around to deciding to automate things (if ever) and until then I'll go with manual control. My questions are regarding high and low pressure propane systems. With respect to the brutus ten build:
1) Which one works best, high or low?
2) With 1/2 SS T-couplers welded on will that work with both high and low pressure systems?
3) Do you lose efficiency with high pressure or low pressure?
4) What are the recommended burners for each type system? I have what I assume to be a banjo burner on a blichmann floor stand that I've used for years- I'd like to use this in the new build if possible.

I'm all ears on any suggestions.

Check out this thread... hopefully it will give you the insight you are looking for, but I will also try and answer your questions.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/understanding-high-pressure-versus-low-pressure-propane-157415/

1) Which one works best, high or low? - really it depends on what you already have... if you are using BBQ tanks then it is HP propane
2) With 1/2 SS T-couplers welded on will that work with both high and low pressure systems? - charge it with an air compressor @ 10-20psi and check for leaks, if it is good at that pressure you should be fine.
3) Do you lose efficiency with high pressure or low pressure? - Not that I am aware of, propane has the same BTUs per pound... now if you are comparing propane to natural gas then yes... NG has less BTUs per unit than propane does.
4) What are the recommended burners for each type system? I have what I assume to be a banjo burner on a blichmann floor stand that I've used for years- I'd like to use this in the new build if possible. - I am using a Top Tier (blichmann burners i.e. banjo burners) and they have worked well with both HP propane and natural gas provided you use the correct orifice for the burner.

Thanks for the info. Just needed a little re-assurance before we swipe the credit card on some of this stuff.

Back