1 gallon carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrost

Reaction score
Does any one know where the best place to get 1gallon carboys my local brew store dnt carry them.

I get them from people who drink wine. Cheap 1 g bottles that is.

They are only 10$ at the store. You could buy it, drink it, then refill.

I buy the 4 Liter Carlos Rossi wine for my wife when I need carboys. For $7.99 at Total Wine, it's a fair price. Not the best wine though...my wife is a good sport.

I was thinking of doing that Carlo Rossi wine bit wasn't sure if it would chip or break due to pressure at the neck

There won't be enough pressure to chip or break them. They are just as good of quality as the jugs you buy at the LHBS. Besides, the pressure will be released through the airlocks.

If you don't like Rossi wines, buy Whole Foods Apple Juice in the Gallon Glass jugs and just add yeast to them. After the initial batch, you'll have jugs for fermenting.

-Check Craigslist and/or Freecycle.
-If you have a glass recycling center you can go talk to them.
-Some liquor stores will allow you to place a flyer--seeking empty gallon/4L glass jugs.
-Some whole foods-type/health food stores carry empty gallon glass jugs, stop and ask.

I use the 5 L Carlo Rossi bottles, and the 1 gallon bottles that organic cider comes in from Whole Foods. The Carlo Rossi ones work perfectly for me, no problems at all. Both types take #6 bungs, but I like the 5L ones better because they're just a bit larger so I use them for primary, and the 1 gallon ones make a great secondary.

That's awesome you just answered my 2 questions. I just bought. The 5l ones

I use the 5 L Carlo Rossi bottles, and the 1 gallon bottles that organic cider comes in from Whole Foods. The Carlo Rossi ones work perfectly for me, no problems at all. Both types take #6 bungs, but I like the 5L ones better because they're just a bit larger so I use them for primary, and the 1 gallon ones make a great secondary.

They have a 5 Liter bottle? Have not seen that one in any brand...only the box. Where do you buy them?

Local liquor. Store

ForumRunner_20121231_200601.png

Wow...going to look again at our local liquor super store. I even checked out the Carlo Rossi website and they do not mention 5 liter bottles.

That would be the ideal for a primary. I did my first one gallon batch using BIAB, and it seems like that process creates a lot more trub. I probably have 3/4 gallon of beer and 1/4 gallon of trub.

I buy them from the liquor department at my local grocery. A lot of people think they are 4L but they are actually 5.

I found some wino that was unloading about 100 of them, literally, on Craigslist. The guy drank nothing but carlo rossi rhone wine. Maybe one every two days. He sold them for $1 each. They will hold pressure without exploding. I did a starter but put the lid on tight instead of using tinfoil. Don't ask why. I doesn't make sense.

Next day I'm looking at it thinking, "man this is some ****. it didn't work. No krausen, no nothing." Then I popped the cap. It EXPLODED. Everywhere. Gusher for 2-3 minutes non stop. So some decent pressure capabilities.

I think it's a number 4 or 4.5 stopper for the next.

If you're not real into the jug wine, and lets be serious, who actually enjoys that stuff, I have found apple juice or cider packaged in 1 gal jugs before. Sometimes it is a little easier to choke down than Carlos'.

I found some wino that was unloading about 100 of them, literally, on Craigslist. The guy drank nothing but carlo rossi rhone wine. Maybe one every two days. He sold them for $1 each. They will hold pressure without exploding. I did a starter but put the lid on tight instead of using tinfoil. Don't ask why. I doesn't make sense.

Next day I'm looking at it thinking, "man this is some ****. it didn't work. No krausen, no nothing." Then I popped the cap. It EXPLODED. Everywhere. Gusher for 2-3 minutes non stop. So some decent pressure capabilities.

I think it's a number 4 or 4.5 stopper for the next.

Awesome. I think you are lucky. My niece told me a story of a capped carboy exploding and sinking a glass shard an inch into a hardwood door...Can't verify, of course, but she did name the Fraternity.

Carlo Rossi is a good table wine when you make a spritzer and add seltzer water

I bought two gallon jugs of apple juice JWKnudson I think. Was perfect. Think it used a 7 ½ stopper.

Back