Anyone for a 80 acre hoppy wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can tell, just aim for a standard american wheat, bitter hop with something high AA%, and than late addition with cascade and Nelson Sauvin, dry hop with those same two as well. I am drinking some of this right now and I think the Nelson Sauvin is key, you can really taste it, sooo good!

I agree this is a great beer. I emailed the brewer a while back and this is the response I received:
"Here's some basic information for brewing 80-Acre Hoppy Wheat Beer. I'll provide you the malt bill as percentages of the total bill. Since I have no idea what size system you're using, what sort of efficiency you get, etc, it would be silly to try to scale down the recipe from our size to whatever size it is you're brewing. I'll provide the hops in the form of a schedule and the amount of IBUs gained from each hop.

80 acre is a hoppy wheat beer. The base is a 30% wheat based beer with a lot of finishing hops (cascade) and dry hopped with hops with a high citrus/fruity character.

62% pale malt
38% blend wheat/wheat malt

12 IBU from bittering hops

We currently use cascade and Nelson Sauvin. Don't be shy, go heavy on the dry hop. Rack the beer from the hops maximum after 5 days.

Dry hopping is hard to measure. It's like adding salt and pepper to a dish"

I haven't tried this yet.

Heh now I get responded on this post.
Better late than never
Funny I tryed this with extract and used cascade and nelson sauve in my boil got 35 IBU's and dry hopped with 1oz cascade. The beer turned out great! Nothing like the awsome 80 acre hopped wheat. Was a really good beer for my first extract without a kit.

Id provably do this beer again with a different hop additions.

Heh now I get responded on this post.
Better late than never
Funny I tryed this with extract and used cascade and nelson sauve in my boil got 35 IBU's and dry hopped with 1oz cascade. The beer turned out great! Nothing like the awsome 80 acre hopped wheat. Was a really good beer for my first extract without a kit.

Id provably do this beer again with a different hop additions.

I'm assuming the flavor/aroma is off because Blvd didn't use NS in the boil at all. They only used it in Dry Hop. And... the late additions were all cascade in the real formula.

Just follow what the brewer from Blvd mentioned and it should likely be a little bit closer at that point.

Haputanlas said:
I'm assuming the flavor/aroma is off because Blvd didn't use NS in the boil at all. They only used it in Dry Hop. And... the late additions were all cascade in the real formula.

Just follow what the brewer from Blvd mentioned and it should likely be a little bit closer at that point.

Will do. Don't think the wheat DME does it justice tho. But I would make it again.

Just brewed a version of this last night. Here are some notes

Just brewed this tonight with some modifications.

1. I used two ounces of Cascade at flameout (For a 20 minute hop stand).
2. Got a lower efficiency than expected and ended up with an OG of 1.050 (No big deal).
3. Columbus only as the bittering hop addition.
4. US-05 Yeast
5. With my calculations, the IBU on my beer is approximately 30ish (A little bit more bitter).
6. Set fermenter to 65 degrees F. Plan to keep here for 10 days.
7. After 10 days, I will increase temp to 68 for the last 4.
8. On day 14, cold crash.
9. Day 15, rack to keg and dry-hop in the keg (with 2 ounces cascade and 2 ounces of Nelson Sauvin).

I'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

I'm happy to report back that my attempt at this beer is almost perfect. I can say with confidence that this recipe is spot on (even with using S-05). Of course my recipe varied slightly, but it's so damn close that I'm going to make this a regular. The recipe I used is posted earlier.

The only thing I might change is to add a a little bit more of the flameout additions. However, the hop character and flavor is about as close as I could have asked for.

I say go for it if you were waiting on a confirmation from someone who has brewed it.

I couldn't get Nelson Sauvin, so I used Citra. And Wyeast 3333 German wheat yeast. This is very good beer! Thanks

Back