White House recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

signpost

Reaction score
Well, I would've commented on the other thread that posted this link: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/09/01/ale-chief-white-house-beer-recipe

Unfortunately, I couldn't because it got locked before I had a chance. And the sticky where we are supposed to keep all comments on this topic is also locked. So, because I actually would like to comment on this, I have been forced to start a new thread.

This is actually new content on this subject. The actual recipes have been released. They are extract recipes. They are pretty simple and straight-forward.

Here are the 2 recipes they shared, in case you don't want to click the link.

WHITE HOUSE HONEY PORTER
Ingredients

2 (3.3 lb) cans light unhopped malt extract
3/4 lb Munich Malt (cracked)
1 lb crystal 20 malt (cracked)
6 oz black malt (cracked)
3 oz chocolate malt (cracked)
1 lb White House Honey
10 HBUs bittering hops
1/2 oz Hallertaur Aroma hops
1 pkg Nottingham dry yeast
3/4 cup corn sugar for bottling

WHITE HOUSE HONEY ALE
Ingredients

2 (3.3 lb) cans light malt extract
1 lb light dried malt extract
12 oz crushed amber crystal malt
8 oz Bisquit Malt
1 lb White House Honey
1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings Hop Pellets
1 1/2 oz Fuggles Hop pellets
2 tsp gypsum
1 pkg Windsor dry ale yeast
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

They even posted a video of the guys brewing a batch. They are obviously noobs, as are a huge portion of the people that brew at home and are interested in these recipes. It was kind of funny to hear them talking about the brewing process and not being completely sure about the terminology.

My question is which brand of extract comes in 3.3 lb cans? When I use LME it is usually Northern Brewer and they come in 3.15 lb jugs, so I don't know how the other brands are packaged. Also, the video they share shows them squeezing extract out of a bag of some sort, if that is a clue that might tip off some of you.

I didn't read through all of the instructions posted with the recipes, but the little I read seemed like the instructions a noob would give to other noobs. Ultra-specific in one or two spots, but lacking explanation in most other spots. But they seem to have the basics down. It seems odd to be so specific about the temps for steeping grains at the beginning, and leave them sit for 45 minutes. A little more than needed for just steeping, and not quite really mashing the small amount of Munich malt (in the porter recipe) that could actually be converted. But I'm sure they are just doing what they have been told to do by more experienced brewers.

Just because there are so many people that are either brewing snobs that can't stand basic extract brewing or political ideologues that hate everything from the other side even if it is BEER, that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to talk about this topic.

Ah. Didn't realize anybody ever went to the Recipes/Ingredients forum.

signpost said:

Yes, in fact it's one of the best and it would really be great if more people used it!

The Recipes/Ingredients forum is the perfect place to discuss things like, well, recipes and ingredients. :D Any recipe critiques, discussion of things like grain and hops, or ingredient ideas go there.

General beer discussion is the place to discuss things that don't fit anywhere else, and isn't used nearly as often.

This White House recipe discussion is in the linked to thread. We have had multiple posts of the same thing, so we're closing this thread and asking people to post/read/discuss in the same thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back