How much orange peel for a good flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi86

Reaction score
M using a sweet orange peel that's dried and made for beer use, I'm just curious how much of it I should use. It doesn't smell particularly strong and it's only about a cup of them, I plan on 3 pounds honey, 2 pounds brown sugar, half gallon apple juice, and about a quarter cup pepper corns, I'm trying for an autumn spice mead. Just looking for your thoughts....

I've never used the sweet orange peel, but I use bitter orange peel in my saison recipe and also my Belgian-inspired metheglin -- I only use one ounce of it. In the case of the metheglin, I did keep the orange peel in the fermenter throughout primary (about 3 months, and bottled right from primary). The orange is definitely present with just an ounce addition (and this is a 6 gallon batch)...

Unless you can get more first-hand advice indicating that the sweet orange is less strong, the best thing to do might be to start off smaller, and add more later on if you feel like you need more after you sample it.

biochemedic said:
I've never used the sweet orange peel, but I use bitter orange peel in my saison recipe and also my Belgian-inspired metheglin -- I only use one ounce of it. In the case of the metheglin, I did keep the orange peel in the fermenter throughout primary (about 3 months, and bottled right from primary). The orange is definitely present with just an ounce addition (and this is a 6 gallon batch)...

Unless you can get more first-hand advice indicating that the sweet orange is less strong, the best thing to do might be to start off smaller, and add more later on if you feel like you need more after you sample it.

Thanks for the advice, I need to pick up a scale so I can measure weights, every one seems to use that instead of volume, honey and suger are easy that's how they come measured but things like pepper corn and orange peel are different. Btw is the bitter orange peel actually bitter or is it more orange flavor lacking sweetness than actively bittering?

It does have a bitterness to it, but also a very recognizable orange aroma. What I've read is that the sweet orange peel will add primarily orange aroma, but as I mentioned, I can't give you any first hand data on the sweet.

Back