Help with hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hello, I recently ordered two very similar 5 gallon all-grain kits from AHS and I've decided to combine them and make my first 10 gallon batch.

The grain bill is as follows:

22 lbs 2row
1/2 lb rye malt
1/2 lb Crystal 20 malt

Using S-05 yeast.

It's obviously going to be a pretty low SRM beer with a good amount of fermentable sugars.

I looked in my hop stores and I have the following:

Galena (12%) - 1 oz
Cluster (7%) - 1 oz
Calypso (13%) - 1 oz
Cascade (6%) - 1 oz
Sterling (7%) - 1 oz
Magnum (13%) - 1 oz

I was thinking of doing the following (keep in mind, this is for a 10 gal batch):

1 oz magnum, 1 oz galena (60)
1 oz sterling, 1 oz cascade (5)

Dry hop with 1 oz of calypso (I want a lightly "floral" beer)

I don't want an IPA or anything agressively hoppy. I just want a light, kinda flowery, interesting beer with distinct hop flavors but something that my wife, who is not a hophead, will enjoy too.

But please, let me know what you guys think... give me some ideas. I've never used Calypso or Magnum before, so any critics there are especially appreciated.

Also, I have about a pound of Malto-dextrin too hanging around. Says gives beer "body"... do you think this beer which is basically just 2 row, needs more body?

Magnum is a very clean, neutral bittering hop so that's a good choice. Galena also, but not quite as clean.

Sterling and cascade are sort of an odd combo, though. Cascade is citrusy, and tastes a bit like grapefruit. Sterling is sort of like Saaz. A bit spicy, but not much and not likely to stand out over the citrus. I'm not sure that is a good combo at all.

I've never used calypso hops, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Hmm, what about nugget in place of the Sterling?

1 oz magnum, 1 oz galena (60)
1 oz nugget, 1 oz cascade (5)

Dry hop with 1 oz of calypso

Apparently Calypso is supposed to have a pear like taste to it.

Back