Irish coffin sizing help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgreen4242

Reaction score
I just snagged a great 15 cu ft Frigidair freezer on CL and I'm off to the races designing my keezer. Planning on a collarless design, with a 5' countertop on 4' lid, with a 4' Irish coffin style box at the back of he countertop to make a sort of kitchen island, which will eventually form part of a larger bar counter arragement.

So my questions are, what is the minimum depth of an Irish coffin? Will 8" give enough space? How about 6"? Also, what about height? How high above the counter top should the top of the coffin be, approximately, and how high should the center of the faucets be?

Thanks for your input!

I've got a 4 tap coffin box and the depth of mine is about 8 inch at the narrowest point. My box has an angled cut, just for aesthetics. I would recommend having it 9” at the narrowest point. Reason being that insulation will take up a considerable amount of space. My box has 2” insulation on the front and back and also a 3-4” air pocket gap between the insulation. I wish I could narrow the gap between the insulation but bends in beer line can only so acute. Although that could be solved with a 90 degree beer nut, or a smaller shank.

As far as height goes I think my box is about 13-14 inches high. The hole where the shank goes through is centered about 11 inch high. I’m happy with the height as it allow most glasses to sit flat under the faucet. If anything I would increase this slightly by an inch. It’s good for regular pint glasses but 22 oz pilsner glasses need to be filled at an angle.

I’ve got a to scale sketchup file of my coffin box if you’re interested. Just PM me your email and I’ll send it out.

Back