Berliner weisse lacking body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinsu

Reaction score
I brewed a berliner weisse a few months back, I used the wyeast seasonal berliner weisse blend. Recipe was standard for the style, 3lbs of wheat malt, 3lbs of pilsner, .25oz of spalt and a 15 min boil. The beer was decent, I think next time I'll use separate bacteria and yeast to get more of a sour flavor though. The beer also lacked body, I don't know if it is because it wasn't sour enough or if it was something else. Just thought I'd see if there were any suggestions for getting a fuller flavor without adding dextrose or anything like that.

Berliner Weiss should have a light body, and be dry and sour. Try it mit schuss. That is with syrup, the Germans put woodruff and rasberry syrup in the glass prior to pouring the beer. Taste Great!

I knew it wasn't supposed to be a big beer, but it was lacking something. Maybe it wasn't dry enough, I'll have to go back and see if it was underattenuated or if I had low efficiency.

I thought it was an ok beer but I mostly posted because I shared some with a friend who was stationed in Germany for a few years. She'd had plenty of weiss and thought it was lacking "something".

Actually I just checked, looks like my mash temp was lower than I wanted it to be and I also had very high efficiency. That could have led to the perceived thinness.

Was it not sour enough?

Did you make a starter for the yeast blend? Also how was the carbonation, should be high in a Berliner weiss, give you that extra bite!

I did not make a starter, I wasn't sure how that would work with the blend. Unfortunately my kegerator doesn't have individual pressures for each keg, something I should probably rectify if I can find a cheap way to do it.

I also looked up the Prof Fritz Briem's 1809 Weiss which is my fav (actually the only real German one I've had). It is 5 or 5.5% alcohol, so the extra malt that went into it are giving it more body too.

Latest posts

Back