I need an IPA recipe that fits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Reaction score
I am looking for a good IPA recipe that will fit into my 5 gal mash tun. I've been looking all over the forum for good looking recipes, but they all have more grain than will fit into 5gallons with a 1lb/1.25qt ratio. I really want to stick to that ratio as I have been getting 80% efficiency with it.

I guess I could make a smaller batch but I am barely keeping the pipeline going with my 5 gal. batches every two weeks.

If anyone could steer me in the right direction I would love to have a good house IPA that is in my rotation.

Well, one of the keys to a great IPA is enough malt to balance all the hops. My goal for quite a while has been to find a lower OG IPA, so I can drink more than two and not be gorked. I really haven't been able to make a great tasty IPA with an OG of less than 1.060 or so. The last one was 1.058, and while it was very good, I'd call it an APA and not a real IPA, although it does barely meet the BJCP style guidelines for an IPA.

Anyway, according to this site: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml (go down to "can I mash it?", you can mash about 10-12 pounds of grain. That should be enough for many beers in the 1.050-1.060 range.

The other choice would be to mash as much as you can, and then use DME to "fill out" the rest of the grain bill and bring you up to the 1.070 range.

Great, thanks:mug:

When I first started looking, I thought of adding some DME to make up the difference but then I was hoping to find a grain bill that would fit. I have no problem doing it and I guess I will have to but there's something about all grain (not necessarily taste) I just love.

My generic grain bill for an IPA is .5 pounds crystal malt plus base malt to an OG of 1.065-1.070. I'm now trying a new one that is 1 pound victory plus base malt to the same OG. Both of these will fit in your mash tun if you get 80% efficiency. According to the calculator Yoop posted 1.25 qts/lb will leave you a quart of headspace if you have 12 pounds of grain. So you could just take a hop schedule from whatever recipe you want and add it to either of the above grain bills and you'll be at or below 12 pounds.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/

With the above recipe, if you do a 5 gallon batch instead of 5.5 and if you adjust the grain bill to:

8.5 lbs. American 2 row
1.5 lbs. Vienna
.5 lbs. Carapils
.5 lbs. Crystal

You will hit the OG dead on with 80% efficiency.

IPA
10.5 lbs MO pale malt - mash tun
1.5 lbs Vienna malt - mash tun
1 lb crystal 20l - steep
1 lb crystal 45l - steep
1 oz northern brewer hops 8%AA @ 60
2 oz cascade hops 5.5%AA @ 30
1 oz columbus hops 15%AA @ 5
1 oz centennial hops 10%AA post boil in kettle after flame out and chill down to 170F, stir constantly for 30 minutes while chilling to create whirlpool
WL WLP 001 California Ale yeast / make starter
ferment @ 69F for 7 days, rack to secondary for 5 days, crash cool @ 35 to 40F for two days, rack to keg and force carb.
modify this if you want, but it makes a very nice IPA that works perfectly in a 5 gallon cooler mash tun. if you want to dry it out some, drop the vienna by .5 lbs and add .5 lbs of corn sugar in the boil kettle.
mash in at 150F for 90 minutes
numbers are based on 75% effeciency 1.062 - 1.015, 6% ABV, 58 IBU's, 13 SRM

Perfect:mug:

I'm going to give this one a shot. I love Two Hearted and If I'm off at all, I have a little LDME I can add.

IPA
10.5 lbs MO pale malt - mash tun
1.5 lbs Vienna malt - mash tun
1 lb crystal 20l - steep
1 lb crystal 45l - steep
1 oz northern brewer hops 8%AA @ 60
2 oz cascade hops 5.5%AA @ 30
1 oz columbus hops 15%AA @ 5
1 oz centennial hops 10%AA post boil in kettle after flame out and stir constantly during chilling to create whirlpool
WL WLP 001 California Ale yeast / make starter
ferment @ 69F for 7 days, rack to secondary for 5 days, crash cool @ 35 to 40F for two days, rack to keg and force carb.
modify this if you want, but it makes a very nice IPA that works perfectly in a 5 gallon cooler mash tun. numbers are based on 75% effeciency 1.062 - 1.015, 6% ABV, 58 IBU's, 13 SRM

Wow, you can get 14 lbs of grain in a 5 gal. tun? What is your grain/water ratio?

Wow, you can get 14 lbs of grain in a 5 gal. tun? What is your grain/water ratio?

no, theres no need to add the crystal malts to the mash tun, you just steep them while sparging into the boil kettle. just like steeping grains on the stove for a extract kit beer that has steeping grains.
the other thing is that I fly sparge, and at 12lbs of grain, I can easily make that work.

AH, I didn't read the steep part.. that's a good idea. I'm starting to have a few more options.
Thanks

Back