Need help locating a leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
I’m having a heck of a time pinpointing a possible leak in my system. I have a dual body three gauge set up similar to this (http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=128). As a test I set each regulator to about 15 psi, then, turn off the check valves on the regulators. A spray of water/soap shows no bubbles at all. I’m looking to see if there are any leaks between the tank and the check valves within the regulators themselves. With that done I turn off the main gas supply to see if the pressure holds within the regulator setup. However, after a short time the pressure goes to zero on all the gauges, both high and low sides.

I’ve re-seated and re-taped all the connections and still the same thing. Is there something completely basic that I’m missing here? As always, thanks in advance.

What you are decribing may be normal operation for the regulator. I would check with the manufacturer. I wish I could help but I am not an expert on regulators and such.

Are you using a nylon washer between the tank and regulator? The nylon washers are great but you can easily over tighten them and crack it...

That happens to me as well and I am pretty sure I don't have a leak.

If the system is a closed loop then one could assume the gauges would continue to show pressure. I am wondering if the check valves come into play at this point. Since positive pressure from the tank is stopped then the pressure reading would be a measurement of pressure in the line but that is back pressure. Would the check valves inhibit this????

When I was having problems with mine the regulators were dropping to zero when everything was closed. Now that all the leaks are fixed the regulators hold pressure when closed down. Mine was leaking at the washer (like I mentioned earlier) and where the outlet ball valve threaded into the regulator. I couldnt get a soapy solution to show it but by isolating it section by section and seeing what would\wouldnt hold pressure I found the problems.

When I was having problems with mine the regulators were dropping to zero when everything was closed. Now that all the leaks are fixed the regulators hold pressure when closed down. Mine was leaking at the washer (like I mentioned earlier) and where the outlet ball valve threaded into the regulator. I couldnt get a soapy solution to show it but by isolating it section by section and seeing what would\wouldnt hold pressure I found the problems.

good to know, I guess I'll do some investigation. Thanks!

Back