Wild Yeast Starter project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
I have a wild yeast capture project working. I'm using a collected wort from a partial mash.

It's been going for about a week, getting a krausen going. BUT, I'm not going to be ready to brew with this anytime soon.

What would you suggest to save this culture until I'm ready to brew?
Sanitize a mason jar Cap & put in refridg.

Any Suggestions?

How long until you think you will brew with it? I'm not sure what the recommendation for wild yeast is, but I'm planning on doing it and thought I would run the wild yeast through a couple of generations in wort to put some slight selective pressure on the yeast and get it used to it's new conditions before using it.

If you're going to be using it in the next few months, you'd be fine storing it in small mason jars or test tubes in the fridge. Otherwise, I'd freeze a portion.

I treat them just like any other yeast starters that I have. If you want to store it, treat it just like you would a stored starter / washed yeast cake.

I'm about 2 months away from brewing, possibly a bit less. will probably run through a few generations as well. refine the wildness a bit.

I'm going to partigyle a smaller 2 gallon batch on the back end of a porter to get a wild brown ale. if test batch works I'll do a bigger 5gallon.

What needs to be added to the yeast for freezing?

There's a primer somewhere on here about making a frozen yeast bank. I'm not sure what all needs to be done but you have to prep it by adding it to another medium before freezing it to ensure the cells won't rupture and die.

Keep in mind that, after several generations, you will probably wind up with a different product. Unlike purchased yeast which is generally only a single yeast or, at most, a few yeasts, this will likely have bacterias, several types of wild yeast, and who knows what else. Something(s) will likely take over and dominate. But, most likely, after you get a starter up to a couple of liters, you'll likely have a dominate yeast anyway and it will be a non-issue.

Thanks Barc! If I find what that other medium is I'll post it. otherwise I'm just going to refridge it until use (hopefully not more than a month or so).

That's pretty much my plan... grow the starter up to a 2 liter and pitch the slurry.

Back