Am i weird?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
Im in the middle of dealing with a horrible first attempt at partial mash...(see my other posts)... and im loving it?

For some reason i am actually enjoying this brew more than my first even though its been a complete clusterf..k since the word go, anyone else out there kinda hope that things go wrong in your process, is this like some kind of car accident rubberneck thing? i just have to see what happens next:mug:

Heck yeah! I didn't like my first extract brewing process because it was just kind of boring.

So the second brew was a PM - and completely fubar'd. But it was just that much more fun.

One thing I learned from statistics: Never assume you are normal.

Heck yeah! I didn't like my first extract brewing process because it was just kind of boring.

So the second brew was a PM - and completely fubar'd. But it was just that much more fun.

howd it turn out? i think your attitude about beer changes based on the outcome of such a fubard recipe. My recipe is turning out awsome.

after having an original gravity of 1.032 with an expected final at 1.015 i was very worried, but its been rapidly fermenting for 3 days with no decline (possibly increasing). Ive got a really positive feeling about it. In fact i wrote down how i screwed up so that i can repeat it if neccessary LOL.

I like it when things go awry because not only do you learn what certain boo-boos can do to your beer (hopefully without killing it), but I like the feeling of being able to correct stuff on the fly and play MacGyver.

howd it turn out? i think your attitude about beer changes based on the outcome of such a fubard recipe. My recipe is turning out awsome.

after having an original gravity of 1.032 with an expected final at 1.015 i was very worried, but its been rapidly fermenting for 3 days with no decline (possibly increasing). Ive got a really positive feeling about it. In fact i wrote down how i screwed up so that i can repeat it if neccessary LOL.

Oh, it actually tasted terrible. I should have dumped it. My first mistake was that when I wanted a 154 rest, I thought I could add 154d water, not taking into account temp loss because I was a friggin' drunk retard. So mashed low, and efficiency suffered because I didn't know to sparge hot, either.

Second thing was that I pitched harvested yeast from a commercial. Stupid idea. Prime example of bandaid beer. Drank all 50 bottles though, mainly to curse the beer gods.

And that's the thing - it didn't deter me, because it was so fun. I actually went AG on my next (3rd) batch. Between the disaster 2nd, I read up and studied on my mistakes and didn't make them again. 3rd batch was great. Of course I've had some hits and misses between then and now, but that's all in the name of the game. As long as you enjoy the process and have fun, then so what if a beer doesn't turn out?

Looks like i may have fixed my beer.

I got almost no conversion on my mash, and after i got done wiht the boil i noticed the "spent" grain was sweet from finally starting conversion, so i added it to the fermentation bucket.

I got great bubbles about 24hrs in, and it went steady for 2 straight days at 1 bubble every 10-15 seconds... today its down to 1 per 30 seconds, but the gravity is much lower than beersmith predicts.

my guess is i got my conversion and then some in the bucket.. took a risk tho with putting the grain in i hope it doesnt bite me in the rear.

the beer itself has a premium american lager taste, and is WAY dark... like brown ale

lol, risky move, but that's what its all about! there's a great quote, not sure exactly how it goes, but i like to think about it every time i forget Relax, Don't Worry, Have A HomeBrew.

Something along the lines of: beer was made by illiterate alewives thousands of years before the invention of the thermometer or the discovery of yeast. puts things in perspective

Looks like i may have fixed my beer.

I got almost no conversion on my mash, and after i got done wiht the boil i noticed the "spent" grain was sweet from finally starting conversion, so i added it to the fermentation bucket.

You added the mash grains to the fermenter without boiling it? Man, I hope you like sour, because Lactobacillus LOVES living on grain. That's why you're not supposed to grind grain where your fermenters are, because it can cause lacto infections.

Now that that cold creep of worry has gone down your spine, I'm sure it'll be just fine :D

i just tasted it and it seems fine, not sour at all, im going to rack it to secondary today or tomarow and get that grain out

Back