Brew pubs/breweries in Salem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
To all you Oregon folks...

I'll be heading up to Salem next week for a couple days, what would be a couple of good places to stop in for lunch?? I'l be working some double shifts so i don't think I'll have time to head into Portland, but would like to stop into some places mid-day and have a brew or two and a Burger.

Thanks,:mug:

First choice:
McMenamins Thompson
3575 Liberty Road South
Second:
Ram Restaurant and Brewery
515 12th Street SE

There's a new beer bar downtown, but I haven't been there.

unfortunately there really isn't much. I would go with McMenamins if I had a choice never been a big fan of the Ram every time I go there I get terrible service and not so good food. If you have time to go down to Albany (30 min drive) you could go to Calapooia Brewery, that would be your best bet.

There is nothing great about Salem, it's actually probably one of the worst places in Oregon. Try and make the drive to Eugene (Ninkasi, Oakshire, Eugene City Brewery aka Rogue) or up to Portland. You're about an hour away from either city.

So I got up to Salem this week and had a pretty good little trip, didn't get out much cuz' I got caught up with work stuff. Anyhow, Had dinner a Mcmenamins(Boons Treasury) on Wednesday evening. Had the Hammerhead Pale Ale which was pretty tasty, it was well balanced but had a bit of Vanillaish/Creamy finish to it. It struck me a bit odd, but actually complimented the beer well. The I had the IPA, which was rather blah. Way to malty for an IPA IMO, and didn't have much character. It had the same type of finish to it. Had a tasty burger, and it was cheap eats, NO TAX!!:ban:

Thursday I went to Ram/Big Horn, and loved it. It was early so it wasn't busy at all, i got the sampler with the Pale Ale,IPA,Amber,Blonde, & Hefe which were all good, the IPA was actually the weakest of the bunch. They also had three seasonals, Maibock,Brown, & Stout. The Maibock was great, I ordered a pint after dinner. I ate the Chicken lettuce wraps for lunch, very tasty. And they had some pool tables in the back, not cheap crappy table either. Nice,Full size tournament tables. I would definitely go back if I was in town again.

Back