What is Hoegaarden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Is this a wit, hefewizen, or what? Is it the same kind of beer as Franszikaner?

Who is a fan of that beer? I am just wondering if that beer is a good representation of that style, if that makes any sense. I had it on draft a week ago and that coriander taste is so strong, it just dominates the beer. It said it was a white ale, but is it wheat based? I just did not like that beer but granted it was my first one, the Franziskaner I had a few weeks ago and I liked it better but I am still not big on this style.

Just wondering if someone can explain the difference between these kinds of beer (if they even are the same) and a regular lager or ale....thanks!

it is a classic Belgian White (or wit). it is a 60/40 wheat with the addition of rolled oats for body. the hops are minimal as the bitter orange and coriander imply bitterness and flavor/aroma. the Belgian Wit yeast, however, is the main player here. you cannot make the style without it. i agree that the coriander is a bit prominent. try using a small amount of cardamom and cumin in place of half of the coriander.

the difference between fransiskaner and hoogarden is the wit yeast versus the weizen yeast. wit is clean and dry with the herbs prevolent. the weizen is clove and bananna/estery and tends to ferment a bit sweeter. they are both about 60/40% wheat to 2 row.

I love me some Hoegaarden. I've tried to brew wits twice with no success (various reasons) but I need to get back in the saddle and try a simple one again soon.

I love me some Hoegaarden. I've tried to brew wits twice with no success (various reasons) but I need to get back in the saddle and try a simple one again soon.

I've never made one, but I've heard it is a pretty difficult style to do well.

Thanks for the info guys...I will keep trying those beers when I get the chance and hopefully they will grow on me.

I believe that not only is Hoegaarden a good example of the Wit style but it is the original Wit (in the way that anchor steam beer is the original steam beer). Also, I've heard that the secret ingredient to Hoegaarden is chamomile along with orange peel, lemon peel, et cetera. Go here and download this MP3 for a lot of great specific info:

The Brewing Network.com - :

Also, I've heard that the secret ingredient to Hoegaarden is chamomile along with orange peel, lemon peel, et cetera.

I would think we've also got to be considering what "Hoegaarden" we're talking about!! Hoegaarden is a town and brewery. The brewery has the "original" Hoegaarden Belgian wit that everyone equates it with (IE like Guiness draught is to St James or Anchor Steam is to California Common)....but Hoegaarden brewery also has a Rose, Citron, barley beer, higher gravity seasonal witbier, grand cru, and Verboden Vrucht (forbidden fruit).

But actually, the most interesting tidbit is if the most traditional Hoegaarden recipe excists with Hoegaarden brand or Celis Brewing...something tells me neither makes it as they've both been bought out by commercial breweries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoegaarden_Brewery

I do like the Hoegaarden. Tried some on tap not long ago and liked it much better than the bottles. Living in rural Southwest Virginia I don't have an opportunity to try many import or craft brews on tap, just not much support in this area. Over this past weekend I was in Asheville, NC and stopped by The Thirsty Monk, which had 15-20 Belgian/trappest brews on tap. Wow, I just didn't want to leave. I had a flight of Kasteel Bruin, Chimay white, and J'smige (I think that is the correct spelling).

Over this past weekend I was in Asheville, NC and stopped by The Thirsty Monk, which had 15-20 Belgian/trappest brews on tap. Wow, I just didn't want to leave. I had a flight of Kasteel Bruin, Chimay white, and J'smige (I think that is the correct spelling).

Ah, I'm from Asheville and still haven't made it over there....my problem is when I return to my hometown, I want to try all their microbrews (my dad says there's yet another microbrewery that's just opened up). It's insane that that town has way more breweries then Atlanta! :D Even across the street from Thirsty Monk is a brewpub. Oh, but at least it just confirms that Asheville is a great mecca for beer nuts!

There is quite a bit of good info in the Jamil episode quoted in this thread. Also see the El Segundo Grado in my dropdown, I have some tips in there for brewing this style even if you don't brew my recipe.

It's Celis' preference to have a pretty strong coriander flavor in the Wit. In Hoegaarden we get in the U.S. the coriander dominates because the beer is not fresh by the time you buy it. When it is fresh, the yeast phenolics dominate, so you can get away with using a lot. I really noticed this effect as my wits aged... Beyond two months, the balance is all off, so plan to drink it up FAST and then brew another batch. This is why you see a full ounce in my recipe. I can tell you the flavor is at its peak when it is coming right out of the fermenter! My last batch I bottled a lot for comps, after that I will probably start doing 3 gallons at a time so it is as fresh as possible.

If you don't like the coriander as much or don't think you'll drink it up fast enough (you will, Wit and a donut is breakfast of champions!!) by all means back it off to 1/2 ounce or less of very coarsely crushed and up the amount of citrus peel. A little chamomile and/or cumin is OK as well (a few grams at most), but I advise you stay away from things like anise or grains of paradise. Those are appropriate for a Saison, not a Wit.

is it possible to harvest the hoegaarden yeast from the beer or do they filter/pasturize?

I am attempting it right now. 1000ml of wheat wort with the sediment from 3 bottles. It was rough to drink all three last night but I had to do it:)

I flamed each bottle before I opened them . I let the sediment warm to room temp covered with foil and pitched it been on the stir plate now for 12 hours

Back