Must Have Hop to grow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The10mmKid

Reaction score
New to here, new to HomeBrewing and soon new to growing hops.
SWMBO perked up when I suggested we could boost our privacy fence even higher with Hop bines.

Without knowing where my homebrewing tastes will take me . . . Is there such a thing as a "Must Have" hop(s) to grow?

We'll have room for ~7-9 bines (25-30' of fence row).

I'm in SW oHIo.

Thank You for this forum and the edumacation,:cross:
'da Kid

I would say it depends on your taste in beer.. I love west coast pale ales, so I went with Cascade since I was only growing one plant.

I went with Magnum and Cascade as I figured I'd be covered for both bittering and flavor/aroma use that way. In terms of fence coverage, the Magnum blow up on year two and can cover a lot of space. The Cascades have been more sparse, although I can probably blame my dog for that as she tends to nibble on that one for some reason.

I went with Magnum and Cascade as I figured I'd be covered for both bittering and flavor/aroma use that way. In terms of fence coverage, the Magnum blow up on year two and can cover a lot of space. The Cascades have been more sparse, although I can probably blame my dog for that as she tends to nibble on that one for some reason.

Be careful, the hop oils in matured hop cones can be very deadly to dogs!

It depends what you would brew with most. I'm a Double IPA fan so I would stick to higher AAs. I've got Hallertau, Mt Hood, Nugget, Zeus. The 1st 3 make for lots of foliage, but the Zeus continually puts out the most ounces of dry cones.
I make an Imperial IPA from all homegrown hops that I'm pretty proud of. Find a recipe that you would consider your go-to-brew and plant those. You'll be surprised how long it can take you to use a seasons hops otherwise.

Be careful, the hop oils in matured hop cones can be very deadly to dogs!

Funny, my dog hates hops and the smell of beer but for some reason she loves to eat the leaves only from my Cascade plant. She decaptitated the poor plant a day after I trimmed it down to the best sprouts. It corrected itself, which shows how resiliant these plants are.

+1 for selecting plants you use the most in your fav homebrews.

Well due to not sure what I will be brewing down the road, having a limited live plant source and one good end-of-season sale; I have the following plants taking a nice Winter nap:

3) Glazier
3) Perle
3) Tettnager

and . . . . . . . . . . . . tada
5) Centennial

The first nine are on the South side of the garage. I'll figure out the trellis system by Spring.

The Centennials are along 30' of chain-link fence. I have the option, and may add a couple of feet above the five feet that are there. That may be a year #2 project.

They spent all Summer/Fall in 1-gal pots until the Misses' flowers and veggies died back.

Sleep well little Humulus lupulus's,
'da Kid

Back