I don't like homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
How many of you have had a similar experience?

I was talking to the official at my sons basketball game and we were talking about how expensive it is to go out and drink at a bar. I say "that's one of the reasons I started to homebrew". He told me when he was younger you could go out and get a beer for $.50 per. I said "I can make pretty good beer for less than that". His response "I don't like homebrew". His reason "I tried a buddies homebrew 20 years ago".

Buzzer sounds and I didnt get a chance to enlighten him.

Homebrewing has come a long way in 20 years. Aside from that though......some poeple just dont want to experience anything new. I have friends that compare all my beers to Coors Light or Bud......since my beers dont taste like that, they must not be good.

How many of you have had a similar experience?

I was talking to the official at my sons basketball game and we were talking about how expensive it is to go out and drink at a bar. I say "that's one of the reasons I started to homebrew". He told me when he was younger you could go out and get a beer for $.50 per. I said "I can make pretty good beer for less than that". His response "I don't like homebrew". His reason "I tried a buddies homebrew 20 years ago".

Buzzer sounds and I didnt get a chancto enlighten him.

The world's full of people and opinions.
You might be able to educate him or show him how good homebrew can be, or he may love the taste of hams and never see the effort of homebrew as worth the time.

Next basketball game bring a six pack of various beers if you want to sway him.

Some people definitely have a thing about homebrew. Either they've tried one years ago that sucked, or they've never tried it but they don't understand the process so they think it's far inferior to what you'd get at the store or a bar or from the Dutch company that owns Budweiser :)

I've found the tried and true ways to change minds is to have them try yours or have them hear it from someone who has tried yours. Luckily this homebrewer's wife actively vouches for my recipes on FB and the like.

I think it's completely normal for people to feel this way. Actually, I felt this way at one point and even when I started brewing one of my best friends just shook his head. Then he tried my first brew, a kickass Belgian wit, and asked, "You brewed this????" He was hooked.

Within two weeks he started brewing with me, did that for a few batches, now he's brewing on his own.

Dealing with All Homebrew Sucks Guy is pretty much part and parcel of homebrewing. A subset of those guys are guys who think your homebrew sucks even despite all objective evidence merely because it doesn't come from a factory somewhere.

Part of the problem is that the creation of beer, unlike the creation of food products, has taken on this mystical, unfathomable air to a lot of people so they assume there's some kind of voodoo magic that isn't reproducible in the average person's home.

If you've ever been at a gathering like say a barbeque where there's an assortment of good beer and seen that guy who can't stand any of it and is drinking his favorite $10 a 30 pack beer, you know that you can't get everyone to understand, and that's fine.

If they enjoy their swill it's no skin off my nose.

Dealing with All Homebrew Sucks Guy is pretty much part and parcel of homebrewing. A subset of those guys are guys who think your homebrew sucks even despite all objective evidence merely because it doesn't come from a factory somewhere.

Part of the problem is that the creation of beer, unlike the creation of food products, has taken on this mystical, unfathomable air to a lot of people so they assume there's some kind of voodoo magic that isn't reproducible in the average person's home.

I've found people who feel the same way about food. I make bacon as well and people seem to think there is no safe way to do it at home. It seems like people are so far removed from food production that they think they are incapable.

I knew a rich guy that put Carlo Rossi in a decanter and served it to his rich friends.

The rich friends would rave about it, not knowing the difference between a $300 bottle of wine and a $6 a gallon jug of wine when served from a decanter. ;)

Basketball is done so I won't see him again until maybe next year. Had I had the time I would javě talked to him about how methodical my approach is and how homebrew has started countless businesses because of the quality of the beer. He seemed like a nice guy but it still would have been weird to ask "wanna come over to my house and have a beer in my basement?"

Basketball is done so I won't see him again until maybe next year. Had I had the time I would javě talked to him about how methodical my approach is and how homebrew has started countless businesses because of the quality of the beer. He seemed like a nice guy but it still would have been weird to ask "wanna come over to my house and have a beer in my basement?"

I can see that.
It could come across like you were asking the reff on a date.

The worse thing would be if that was how he took it and still wanted to come over.

45_70sharps said:
I can see that.
It could come across like you were asking the reff on a date.

The worse thing would be if that was how he took it and still wanted to come over.

Haha.... Well his wife was out of town...

Back