Using immersion chiller w/ Hopblocker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail

Reaction score
All of you Blichmann Boilermaker w/ hopblocker owners, I just got a boilermaker a couple months ago but my immersion chiller doesn't fit in the pot anymore with the hopblocker installed. It sits cockeyed and the wort is in contact with about half of the coils. What did you use to make the coils tighter/reduce the radius? I used my 5 gal corny to wrap the copper around but want some ideas how to make it smaller. I might just look in the garage for something that will work.... :mug:

I have a 10 gallon Boilermaker and I used my 5# CO2 tank to wrap around and it came out fitting nicely. One suggestion I have if you are going to pull the IC out before draining the pot is to turn the hook on the hopblocker to the back so that when you pull the IC out you don't hook it on the hopblocker. You can then use a slotted spoon or something to turn it back once the wort has dropped low enough before you lift the hopblocker for finishing the drain. :mug:

Just get the 20g, Boilermaker :D

CIMG4513.JPG

Just wrap the copper around a smaller object. Perhaps multiple small diameter coils would work well.

Just get the 20g, Boilermaker :D

Just wrap the copper around a smaller object. Perhaps multiple small diameter coils would work well.

Too late, I already used up my father's day brew purchase on the 15 gallon!

I have a 10 gallon Boilermaker and I used my 5# CO2 tank to wrap around and it came out fitting nicely. One suggestion I have if you are going to pull the IC out before draining the pot is to turn the hook on the hopblocker to the back so that when you pull the IC out you don't hook it on the hopblocker. You can then use a slotted spoon or something to turn it back once the wort has dropped low enough before you lift the hopblocker for finishing the drain. :mug:

Yeah I was thinking a fire extinguisher or something along those lines...

Back