Golden Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their logo is bizarre for a food item. It is the rotting corpse of a dead lion with flies swarming around. I understand the reference but not the most appealing logo on a food item.

Forrest

Thanks all!! I'm going to go check out a few more places and then substitute brown sugar... I know it won't be the same but I've had minor success with it.

I hear the stuff is pricey. I just don't know why the LHBS's don't carry it... I mean enough British recipes call for it...

Orfy -- How might a guy make his own invert sugar syrup?

Cheers! :mug:

Joe

:off:

Is there a LHBS in Missoula?

The dead lion is not surrounded by flies but bees. Here's the information from the Lyle's Golden Syrup Website:

In 1904, the “lion and bees” tin was registered as Lyle’s trademark. The design comes from Abram Lyle’s religious beliefs: It’s a reference to a story in the Old Testament, in which Samson killed a lion, then saw that bees had formed a honeycomb in the lion’s carcass. The Bible references Samson’s words that also feature on the tin, “Out of the strong came forth sweetness.” The logo and design remain unchanged today.

Yes, It's a strange logo, but at least it has some meaning according to the company.

Tried making this today. I had some ancient Golden Syrup that I had bought in Europe years ago and now it's running out. I've come to love the Old Speckled Hen so I have more need of this now. I'd say my version looks a little lighter than what I had in the old store-bought jar, but perhaps my old syrup darkened up a bit. My home-made syrup looks more golden than what I had bought. I used a bit over a pound of sugar. I poured some water in that and mixed. Heated to a boil and added a little over a tsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice. I'm not sure how long it boiled. Perhaps a little over a 1/2 hour. It looks lighter in color when it is boiling than when it stops boiling.

I took a picture w/ a cheap cell phone, but I'm not sure how to post it.

Golden Syrups.jpeg

Back