Which corks should I go with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
I've settled on a floor corker, probably the protuguees model.

Now, which corks should I buy? I usually buy from Austin HomeBrew shop, and these are my options.

I've looked at austin home brew online and they have several varieties of corks:
8 x 1 3/4 First Quality Corks 01210 $4.50
9 x 1 1/2 First Quality Corks 01212 $4.80
9 x 1 3/4 First Quality Corks 01214 $5.10
Altec Corks (Winery Grade) 01234 $10.99
Synthetic Corks (Nomacorc) 01216 $8.00
Synthetic Tasting Corks (each)

I'll be corking once used wine bottles friends will give me. I plan on saving some of the bottles for 21 years. (seveal co-workers are pregnant and I'm thinking of some 21st birthday meads)

I would go with the synthetic (nomacorc) ones. That is what I got the last time I bought some. They will be better for the long aging.

Not to derail the topic, but can you use a hand corker on synthetic corks?

Also, I've heard that normal corks allow water to pass through very slowly resulting in a higher ABV over time. I'm thinking a synthetic cork might prevent this (desirable?) characteristic of aged meads/wines.

In mid September I read this statement on a wine forum, "A commercial winemaker in Sonoma ...has been using Neocork synthetic corks but ran into some serious oxidation trouble with them in which he had to dump some of his cased Chardonnay due to oxidation. When he contacted his Neocork rep, they informed him that a new study shows that Free SO2 levels quickly deplete with the Neocorks leaving the wine vulnerable."

Not wanting to rely on hearsay, I sent the following email to Neocork because I was unable to find any information on their website related to this issue. I asked if they had a technical paper (or other document) that discussed the above referenced "study", or any other material that assessed the time nature of free sulfite depletion when Neocorks are use for wine closures.

They replied on 9/26/08, "If you can reply with your winery name and phone number we can contact you directly to answer any technical questions you may have."

I promptly replied 9/27/08, "Thank you for your reply. While I do not represent a commercial winery, I do provide expert advice to many homebrewers (via forums) that make mead. As you may know, a mead's flavor profile, continues to develop over the course of several years - even decades. Because of this long-term aging, potassium metabisulfite is added providing free sulfites that mitigate oxidation - as is done in wine.

Thus, it would be important to know if the use of Neocork closures resulted in free sulfite depletion, which in turn would diminish the anticipated level of oxidation protection.

Therefore, it would be helpful to understand the manner in which Neocork affects the free-sulfite concentration of a bottled beverage, and if the rate of depletion is affected by the type of beverage, its pH, initial SO2 ppm, or other parameters."

That was the last communication I had with Neocork. It would appear that they did not find it important enough to discuss this concern with a lowly homebrewer. Consequently I no longer use, or recommend, their product.

Now you have as much information as I, so the choice is yours... ;)

Hmmm...based on the above info, perhaps the high quality natural corks are a better option. I always thought synthetic were far better for long term aging. Would be interesting to get some more info about them now!

:off:
Thank you Hightest for your advice regarding the synthetic corks.

Something you said:

"As you may know, a mead's flavor profile, continues to develop over the course of several years - even decades. Because of this long-term aging, potassium metabisulfite is added providing free sulfites that mitigate oxidation - as is done in wine."

As of yet I've not put any metabisulfite in the meads in case someone I may give it to has sulfite sensitivity (i.e. migraines).

Is it your opinion that if a mead is to be aged for decades one must add metabisulfite?

Also what corks do you personally use?

As stated earlier, I'd like to put some away for a couple of decades.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Hmmm...based on the above info, perhaps the high quality natural corks are a better option. I always thought synthetic were far better for long term aging. Would be interesting to get some more info about them now!
I really tried to get a better understanding of Neocork's sulfite depletion concern, but when the manufacturer decided to remain silent on the issue it make me very suspicious - to the point of believing they had something to hide.

I gave them every opportunity to respond, and they chose to ignore me - very bad choice... :(

:off:
Thank you Hightest for your advice regarding the synthetic corks...
You're quite welcome. And for the record, when I answer a question, or provide a comment, I try to be as objective as possible. When I'm not certain, or my comment is a personal opinion, I will make that very clear. In that way those who read my words can make their own decisions... ;)

I am aware that there are those who are sensititive to sulfites. Yet, it should be known that sufites are naturally present in many food products (wine incuded), and true sulfite allergies are not that common. That being said, I do add sulfites to my mead that I intend to undergo long-term aging. And, here is where the discussion gets a bit complex.

Many home brewers recognize the term sulfites. Yet, most every discussion I see concerning sulfites really involves free sulfites. However, oxidation protection is derrived from establishing a specific range of molecular sufiltes - typically 0.5-0.8ppm. These sulfites result from the addition of free sufiltes by the addition of chemicals such as KMETA.

However, the amount of KMETA needed to provide adequate molecular sufite levels is a function of pH - the higher the pH the more KMETA needs to be added.

Up to the point where I was made aware of the Neocork issue, I did use Neocorks. However, I know use 1st quality natural corks for my mead. I also use 32 oz filp-top bottles.

Back