Scrape Foam Off Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batches_brew

Reaction score
Am I being obsessive compulsive when I scrape off the excess foam off the boil? Should I leave it?

I'm on my third boil and I haven't even bottled my first one yet. I do feel my technique getting tighter though. The first brew was hap hazard, the second much better. Now on my third and it's going real smooth, but that foam looks like it could cause some nasty flavors. Am I wrong?

What you would be removing is protein. It would reduce the amount of hotbreak and reduce the boilover hazard, but a certain amount of protein is needed for good head retention. A long time(20+ years) brewer friend of mine swears by it as a means of preventing boilover. Since I seldom have any concerns with boilover, but am concerned about head retention I'm on the fence.

I'm not worried about boil over. I just wasn't sure because I vaguely remember reading somewhere to get a slotted spoon for scraping off foam. It's all good, I'll leave it alone because i want that head retention. Thanks for the info.

Right….the foam is protein, but if left it will decrease shelf life. With that said I usually don’t scrape but if I’m brewing a special batch….why not.

i use a SS splatter screen that;s just a bit smaller than the inside of my pot and skim off the foam as the pot starts boiling.

Right….the foam is protein, but if left it will decrease shelf life. With that said I usually don’t scrape but if I’m brewing a special batch….why not.

Most of that protien will drop out in the primary, or even the kettle if you siphon the wort off of it. Using a fining agent like irish moss or whirlfloc helps.

Most of that protien will drop out in the primary, or even the kettle if you siphon the wort off of it. Using a fining agent like irish moss or whirlfloc helps.
True that but if it's your hobby and you’re making a special beer and want to do something extra to make it last longer....why not
Like I said I rarely skim off the foam because the break could be used by the yeast as food.

I've never heard that scraping foam off will increase shelf life. Not that my beer is going to ever last that long as is.

Do you have a source for that?

I don't skim off the foam because usually there's a nice deal of hops residue in there, and I don't want to muck with the bitterness.

If that means I have to drink my beer faster, oh well, I guess I just will.

Back