Sanke False Bottom - What's the *$#&#@% secret?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcaustin

Reaction score
Ok, I'm brewing my second batch on my newly built Brutus type scuplture. BOTH batches, I'm having issues circulating my mash. Details:

1) Pump IS primed, it was pumping fine, then just came to a trickle, then nothing.
2) I DO have a hose clamp "pushing" the falsebottom down in the bottom of the Keg MLT.
3) FB is this one: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4468

So what's the deal? How do I get this thing to do what it's supposed to (flow)??

Yep, I have a ball valve on the outlet of the pump. Right now, I'm just trying to flow anything... I just pumped some water from my HLT through MLT outlet to try to clear it, but then it's not pumping again.

sounds like its plugged, or a stuck mash. What kind of pump? You cant run anything through it not even crear water without running it through your mash?
JJ

Seems like I had a hose that didn't want to fill the inlet to the March pump... I'd already cleared it with compressed air once, and it didn't want to flow directly out of the MLT output (even though the output was flowing fine out of it). I cleared it again with the air compressor and it seems to be ok now...

Guess I was just assuming it was the FB since I'd already cleared the lines once with compressed air.

Oh well, sparging now. Will need to get another beer for the boil!

If you pump from the mash tun too fast it will pull air into the pump anywhere it can get (loose fittings or clamps, etc) it which cavitates the pump. Make sure the inlet of the pump points toward the ground so that when air comes into the pump it moves upword which gets the air out of the pump.

It might sound silly, but you should recirculate your strike water through the pump just before you dough in. This gets your siphon tube full of water and primes the pump ahead of time. When it's time to recirculate, choke the flow down to 50% and run it.

It might sound silly, but you should recirculate your strike water through the pump just before you dough in. This gets your siphon tube full of water and primes the pump ahead of time. When it's time to recirculate, choke the flow down to 50% and run it.

Yep, had the strike water circulating prior to dough in too.

Also have the pumps mounted with the inlets pointing down/outlets pointing up. Probably need to run a couple of tests with each of my hoses and see if I can recreate the issue.

I bet it was one of these. I've had a problem with both before.

1) compacted grain bed
-- stop the pump and break up the grain bed around the FB, try to recirculate a little slower, use more mash water if the mash is too thick

2) air getting in the pump inlet hose
-- stop the pump, let the air escape, double-check all fittings

2) air getting in the pump inlet hose
-- stop the pump, let the air escape, double-check all fittings

I'm going to go with #2 as my main suspect. I'd say that with a compacted grain bed, I would get any flow when I open the MLT outlet valve w/o the hose connected, and it flowed just fine with no hose connected to the pump.

I'll check out the connections on my 4 hoses and see how it goes.

UPDATE

I brewed a 10 gallon Irish Red on Saturday evening. It turns out that when I bought my female quick disconnects, I accidentally bought two slightly different types. One kind can just be pushed on to the male disconnects without pulling the sleeve back, the other you have to pull the sleeve back to get it to attach.

Well, the ones that can just be pushed on do not work well on the suction side of my pumps. This time during my mash, I had issues again with the circulation, and I tried switching to one of my hoses that had the female qd's that need to have the sleeve pulled back to attach and my circulation went perfectly. :mug:

The hoses with the easier to use female qd's still work just fine for the outlet side of my pumps though, so no need to replace anything at this time. :rockin:

I had that false bottom and Im not sure what happened to it but after the first batch it was domed in the other direction and formed to the bottom of the Sanke.

I've been using J's FB ever since and it works like a champ

I had that false bottom and Im not sure what happened to it but after the first batch it was domed in the other direction and formed to the bottom of the Sanke.

I've been using J's FB ever since and it works like a champ

Glad to hear is working out for you Chimone:rockin:
People seem to really like them!!! I dont know if its the hole size or the thickness but they do work good. I sure do like mine

Mcaustin I am glad to hear you got it all worked out.
JJ

Back