Whats this a sign of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOMEBREWZ

Reaction score
so its my second season of hop growing and i was just noticing that some of my plants leaves have very crispy edges and holes in them , it really doesnt seem like any sort of bug bitten holes , and the rest of the plat looks fine it seems to be the leaves towards the lower end of the plant i usually water them once a day for 1 hour with a soaker hose unless it rains they are second year plants also. heres some pics.

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

Looks like somehting's been eating the leaves to me - aphids maybe?

Anyway I wouldn't worry about it - it's just nature doing its thing. May just happen for a week or so as part of spring insect babies or something. BUT - I don't know what I'm talking about.

All I know is that I just let my veggies/whatever go, and whatever happens to 'em happens. I did have a slug issue one year with them destroying my tomatoes, but I still had lots of good tomatoes. I guess what I'm trying ot say is plants have a way of providing enough food for everyone. You'll get your hops, and this insect or whatever will get its food from the leaves.

Pull back on the watering depending on weather to one good deep soak per week maybe two if really dry. If they are second year plants they shouldnt need much from you unless its really hot and dry.

Back