Bass Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfish

Reaction score
Have an older friend from England, that loves Bass. He knows the Bass we get here in the states
is not the same as the ale on tap in England.
I would like to find a spot on Bass recipe.
Any ideas?

Do you have a kegging setup? If not, you're going to have a lot of difficulty getting a beer like an English draught ale.
http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/01_41.html gives a recipe that looks to me like it should be fairly close (but I haven't had one for over 30 years).
The pale malt should be English. Maris Otter is popular and easy to find. The crystal malt again should preferably be English with an L rating of 50 - 60. I use Muntons because that's what the LHBS stocks.
The hops should have about 5%AA.
Make sure you don't over carbonate it (I keep the keg pressurized at 3 PSI), and don't chill below 55F.

-a.

Here's the recipe out of Clone Brews..... I brewed this at the beginning of the year and it seems to be spot on!

Bass Ale Clone
Style: English Pale Ale
O.G. 1.052-1.053
F.G. 1.012-1.013
IBU 37
SRM 13-14
ABV 5%
Yield: 5 Gallons

Grain:
9lbs British 2-row pale malt
14oz British crystal malt 55L
Mash at 151*F for 90 minutes

90 minutes boil
Hops
3/4oz. Northdown 90minutes
1/4oz. Challenger 15minutes (along with 1 tsp Irish moss)
1/2oz. Northdown 10minutes
1/4oz. Northdown 1minutes

Yeast: Wyeast's 1098 British Ale yeast or Wyeast 1028 London Ale Yeast

Good luck!

That looks like a bottled or kegged version rather than draught to me.
The draught version has 4.4% ABV, while the bottled and kegged versions come in at 5.1%

-a.

Thanks guys, found out my English friend has a birthday in late June, so I have time to figure out the recipe and to set up a corny for cask conditioning and serving.

You can get Simpson's crystal malt at Northern Brewer. That has been recommended to me to capture the character of an English Ale...and Maris Otter of course.

I need to find out if my older friend is drinking Bass in bottles or draught.
Bottle line is making a brew that represents his favorite brew, thx for the input.

I brewed this Saturday and messed up the barley. I added 7.5 oz instead of .75 oz. I was wondering why it was so dark. Hope it still turns out to something good. I'm using Windsor dry yeast. The numbers are still dead on. I named mine dark bass.

shadows69 said:
I brewed this Saturday and messed up the barley. I added 7.5 oz instead of .75 oz. I was wondering why it was so dark. Hope it still turns out to something good. I'm using Windsor dry yeast. The numbers are still dead on. I named mine dark bass.

That sounds like my kind of mistake, let us know how it turns out

Back