IPA with Falconers flight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I'm doing a demonstration brew at my LHBS and am going to brew this recipe.

10# 2 row
8oz. C15
8oz. C40

1oz Chinook. (60)
1oz falconer's (10)
1oz falconer's (5)
1oz falconer's (0)

Dry hop with 1oz of either falconer's or citra

I'm also planning on US-05 for the first time.
I have read several threads on here that this yeast has a tendency to dry a brew out if mash temps at 152 or lower.
so should I mash at 154 or higher?
Also I've never made an IPA so does this hop schedule look solid.
Thanks in advance for all comments.

Thats usually about the same hop schedule I follow and it works for me. I made an IPA with falconers not that long ago and liked it a lot.

That should be good. Personally, I would do at least 2 ounces of the FF for dry hop. YMMV

A local brewpub (Five Seasons) brewed an IPA with Falconers Flight, I think it's a very pleasant hop.

I don't have much experience with US-05, but I used it on a second runnings 'braggot'. (2 lbs of honey.) It finished about 1.010.

Thats the combo I dry hopped my most recent IPA with
Used an ounce of citra, an once of falconers flight and an ounce of sorachi ace in the boil
oh and some grapefruit in the secondary to extenuate the hops =D

Thanks for the help e everyone I'm set on my hop schedual.
Now what about the mash temp and the yeast.
It seems that US-05 has a tendency to over attenuate and I don't want this beer to be a dry hoppy mess.
I've never used dry yeast in my 20 or so AG brews so I no clue about them.

If you do use us-05 it is a high attenuator so mashing about 154 should keep some body to balance the hops. I

Thanks koko that's what I thought.
The company web site says 75% attenuation while guys on here are getting 80% or higher.
I was hoping mashing higher would leave enough body to balance the hops

I guess it depends some people prefer their IPAs to be dry to accentuate the hops. But yes 154 should retain some body but Chico yeast can attenuate pretty low but should not dry the beer out in a harsh way. One thing I can recommend is ferment us05 cool. In my falconers ipa I think I fermented around 68 and got some peach notes from the beer. I have read people saying they got peach notes from us05 but I had not until this batch. Something about this hop seemed to have accentuated that. It was not unpleasant at all but most people who tried it tasted the peach. I enjoyed the beer as did most who tried it but next time I will use the liquid equivalent or ferment it cooler.

Thanks jtejedor...I ferment most of my beers in the mid 60's...from what I've read about falconer's flight they will lend a peach note to the beer. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
I did a SMaSH with summit hops and it has a lot of grapefruit in it and I was wanting something to go with it..
Thanks for the replies everyone

I like FF a lot in my late additions and dry hopping. I'm using it in my IPA no with a FF, Citra, Amarillo, dry hop blend. As far as mashing higher using 05 yeast, I've tried it all different ways and still couldn't predict this yeast. I've even fermented high, low, in the middle, and I just don't like it. I did a split batch with 05, 1056, and 001 and it came in last in every blind tasting I did. I pick up a wine like after-taste with it. Kind of nice because of the ease of it though. Just not my favorite. I usually use wyeast, but for Chico strain I liked the WLP001 the best. :mug:

Thanks again for the replies and ideas everyone, but after some more reading and consideration I think I will just go with my old standby 1056..or 1272...I keep a couple packs on hand

Back