Whats the Best way ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simmons

Reaction score
I just finished my Kegorator Build last night. My beer will be ready to Keg on Sunday. Whats the best way to Carb it. Really I"m asking what does everyone think is the best method or have the most success with. My head is ready to explode from all the posts on the different methods. If it helps too I'm kegging a Stout but using c02 no N2 . Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've read quite a lot about kegging. I think the general consensus is to purge the keg of oxygen first of all with 30 psi, and leave it set at that, and leave the keg connected at that pressure for 24 - 48 hours. Disconnect the gas line then burp the keg to relieve some pressure. Once that's done set your regulator at 10 psi or whatever your serving pressure is going to be, and reconnect to the keg. Just what I've read, and seen on videos. Not what you necessarily have to do.

OK here is how you figure it out

question 1 what is the style of beer and desired level of carb?
Answer 1 it's a stout and stouts general have 1.7 to 2.3 volumes of co2

Question 2 what is the temp of the beer when in the kegortator?
Answer 2 I'm gonna guess that it's roughly 40F

CONSULT THE CHART
According to the chart: to achieve 2.01 volumes at 40F you set the pressure to 7 PSI

set regulator to 7 PSI output. Put beer in fridge, hook up to gas and cool to 40F. Wait 7-14 days and the beer will be carbonated to 2.01 volumes.

Drink and enjoy.

PS: If you want to speed up the whole process, set the pressure to 30PSI for one day then lower it to 7 PSI on day 2 and keep it there for the remainder of the time. With this method the beer will carb in 3 days +/-

I've read quite a lot about kegging. I think the general consensus is to purge the keg of oxygen first of all with 30 psi, and leave it set at that, and leave the keg connected at that pressure for 24 - 48 hours. Disconnect the gas line then burp the keg to relieve some pressure. Once that's done set your regulator at 10 psi or whatever your serving pressure is going to be, and reconnect to the keg. Just what I've read, and seen on videos. Not what you necessarily have to do.

more or less, but there is no reason to connect and unconnect and connect again. If you need to bleed off pressure you can use the pressure relief valve at the top of the keg.

Also, you'd want to purge the O2 when you fill the keg.

I don't know what the best way is exactly, but here is what works for me:

Three days before I transfer to keg, I cold crash my beer by putting it in my chest freezer set at 36F. This helps anything in suspension to drop to the bottom.

When I transfer to keg, I set my regulator to the desired pressure, which, for me, is somewhere between 9-12 PSI for all of my beers. I hook the gas up to the keg. Afte 15 minutes, I vent the keg of O2 on top. I do teh same after an hour, then again after 5 hours or so to ensure the O2 is out of there.

I find that my beer doesn't reach the proper carb level for 2-3 weeks.

Good things come to those who wait.

I'm by no means an expert on kegging and carbing but I've found what works for me. After transferring the beer to the keg, turn up the co2 to 25 psi, and listen to hear the hiss of the gas rushing to the keg. After the hiss is done, turn off the co2 and purge the keg. This will remove any o2. Do that 3 or 4 times.

Let it sit overnight in the kegerator so it gets down to 40F. Then turn on the co2 to 30 psi, let it sit for 10 minutes. Disconnect the keg from the lines, put it on the ground and roll it around for a bit. Nothing too violent but a gentle rolling motion for a few minutes. Stand it up and purge it. Then hook it back up at about 10 psi. In 1 or 2 days, it will be drinkable. Not the ideal carbonation but good. Then keep it hooked up for the next week and it will get better.

It's a forced carb but without any risk of overcarbing.

Back