What temp is too cold for bottle maturation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwsenoj

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all, but let me give a few details...I brewed a nice Rogue Deadguy clone which I tweaked a bit. It has been in bottles for almost a month so far and the temp I am controlling with a Johnson Controls digital controller on an upright freezer. I started out the bottles at ~ 68°F and have dropped them down to 65°F for the last 2 weeks. I have 2L of the beer in a growler that I had hoped to pop open at my birthday party this weekend but after trying a pint bottle I was very disappointed to taste and smell some very strong "green beer" flavors. Also, I forgot to mention I used Pacman yeast. I have bumped the temp of the freezer up to 70°F and I was also wondering if I should "rouse" the yeast with a gentle shake to each bottle to get the yeast off of the bottom and back into suspension to continue cleaning up those nasty green flavors.

So, back to the title, what temp is too cold to mature a beer of this type?

Thanks for helping a guy on batch #4 (2 ag!)

Too cold might be at freezing. I usually bottle condition at drinking temps, after I know its fully carbed. Give it a few weeks. The cooler temps make the yeast go dormant. I rarely am at a point were I am in a hurry to drink any of my beer, doing so leads to disappointment. I've been on this cask kick as of lately and was reminded to let the beer sit. The young cask beer had a sulfur-like taste, which faded after a week. Its been several weeks at 44f and it tastes pretty good now.

Back