Second Batch, Belgian Dark Strong, maybe I'm just Paranoid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecaz

Reaction score
OK - so I have a Belgian Dark Strong ale that I boiled.

It called for 9.9 pounds of Light Golden and 1.5lbs of Dark Candi Sugar.

I boiled 2 1/2 gallons of water, and added 3 to the primary fermenter.

My starting gravity was 1.115 but the recipe expected 1.088.

I'm thinking I just got a higher concentration of sugar from the bottom of the Primary Fermenter, causing the gravity to be through the roof, and soon I think you will see why...

Check out this video... http://ecaz.org/video/p2220008.avi

What you see is a light brown top, a very very dark lower section, and the trub.

The questions I have:

Did I do something wrong when I mixed the water and the wort in the fermenter? Should I have shaken it?

After about 18 hours I had a nice white head/krausen on my fermenting beer. I did move the primary fermenter once, and now about 2 hours later that head/krausen is gone.

Did the head/krausen go away because I moved the fermenter, or did my yeast die because there is too high of a concentration at the bottom?

However! There are still lots and lots of bubbles coming up from the top, and the little airlock is popping away, so I don't know what to make of it!

Its likely that you just didnt mix the water and your wort well enough. The yeast are still hard at work, but you want to make sure you take hydro readings instead of using your airlock to judge when fermentation is done.

Back