Plain table sugar+corn sugar for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
I was perusing the kits on Northern Brewer and noticed this suggestion for one of their kits:

Note: If you wish to achieve a level of carbonation similar to the commercial examples of this beer, add an additional 1 to 2 oz plain table sugar to the priming solution.

Just curious if anyone has heard of this technique. I'll be making a Bavarian Hefeweizen soon and I'd like to get the maximum amount of carbonation possible without bottle bombs.

There's no reason why it wouldn't work, they are probably assuming that the person brewing the kit does not have additional corn sugar around. If you did, you'd probably use that instead to increase the priming amount. How much I'd add would depend on how much corn sugar they included with the kit - I used 6.25 oz of corn sugar for my recent bavarian hefeweizen (5.25 gallons final volume) and it came out perfect.

Yeah, I don't think the point is mixing corn sugar with table sugar, the point is to just increase the amount.

they are probably assuming that the person brewing the kit does not have additional corn sugar around.

I think you're right.

Note that table sugar can take longer to carb up so if one is not comfortable with this it might be better to use dextrose.

Yep. I use table sugar exclusively for carbonation (I always have some in the house). I've heard that carbonating with table sugar can take longer than corn sugar, but I haven't noticed any differences.

As to your original question of wanting a hefeweizen sufficiently carbonated without being explosively so, I thought for sure that I would have bombs last year. But it turned out to be pretty good and I didn't have any bombs (maybe I was just lucky). I'll check my notes at some point so I can tell you what I did.

Back