Brita Water Filter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
Our city water here is moderately Hard. 120 ppm. So it's pretty good for most brews. However it is clorinated with Cloramine. I've been adding Campden tablets to get rid of the Cloramine but I'd like to get away from that.

If I got the cheapo water jug style Brita filter would that remove the Cloramine? Would it remove any of the other mineral components of the water?

Thanks

Rudeboy

I use the small bucket. It does take a while to get the water, but it gives you time to do other preparations.

All of my batches I have used the Brita system and it works very well, I have no complaints.

Thanks EdWort... that looks like the most economical way to set up a water filter that I've seen anywhere... the local RV dealer shows it at $23.09. One question... will filtering to remove chlorines and choramines remove minerals to the point where I'll need to monitor my water chemistry for doing AG?
BTW, payback on this filter would be 6 batches roughly, figuring $.78/ gallon for WalMart water. And that doesn't even count gas and time to go get the water. I'm doing this soon...maybe before the next batch, which is this coming weekend!

Without stomping over the OP thread in my area the water is good but I can smell the cloramine to a point I do do not drink the tap water. Question I have without going thru a filtering system would there be any problem using well water that tastes slightly flat has a Ph 0f 7.15-7.21 and brew with it? The Ph and temp are perfect for the 650 gallon fish pond plus yard watering over 50 years.

Thanks EdWort... that looks like the most economical way to set up a water filter that I've seen anywhere... the local RV dealer shows it at $23.09. One question... will filtering to remove chlorines and choramines remove minerals to the point where I'll need to monitor my water chemistry for doing AG?
BTW, payback on this filter would be 6 batches roughly, figuring $.78/ gallon for WalMart water. And that doesn't even count gas and time to go get the water. I'm doing this soon...maybe before the next batch, which is this coming weekend!

It's only a carbon filter, but it works to remove the chlorines from my local water. I don't think it will affect any hardness.

I have used the Brita pitchers in the past. They got the job done. Now that I have a family, I prefer to use refrigerator filters . My husband loves to leave empty containers in the fridge. Problem solved...

I sent a sample to Ward Labs of both my local tap water and water filtered using the RV filter mentioned above and the results weren’t what I expected. As you can see from the graph below most if the items tested increased in amount after being run through the filter versus straight from the tap. I don’t know if those numbers should go down or not, but I thought anyone considering the filter would be interested in the results.
chart.png

I sent a sample to Ward Labs of both my local tap water and water filtered using the RV filter mentioned above and the results weren’t what I expected. As you can see from the graph below most if the items tested increased in amount after being run through the filter versus straight from the tap. I don’t know if those numbers should go down or not, but I thought anyone considering the filter would be interested in the results.
chart.png

can you post or link to a bigger version of your chart?

chart.png

Those numbers are substantially identical. The filter isn't affecting them at all. Take unfiltered samples from two faucets in your house or from the same faucet several hours apart and send them in, you'll see similar variance.

Differences on that magnitude are not material as far as brewing is concerned.

Back