2 batches, 1 problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude71

Reaction score
so i brewed 2 seperate 5 gallon batches of a DFH 60min IPA clone. they were brewed about 2 days apart, sat in primary and secondary for around 3 weeks total, and were both bottled on the same day. this was about a week ago.

I popped a bottle from 1 batch open today and poured it. it was nice and clear and had about an inch and a half of head. very nice beer.

I pulled up a bottle of the other batch, and the neck of the bottle had some filmy stuff in it. if you rotate the bottle, the film coats the glass and then goes back to the top of the beer when you de-rotate. i then checked several other bottles and they all had the same problem. I'm wondering if this is just firmentation or is this entire batch infected? i opened one of them and it tasted fine. if was not however very carbonated like the first batch i tried.

any advice?

Advice? RDWHAHB is the beat advice here. Infections taste bad so if it tastes fine then you don't have an infection.

You may have floaties from bottle conditioning or from syphoning some trub into the bottles, another possibility is the bottles werent cleaned well enough and you are breeding some gunk in a few bottles.

If it tastes fine you're probably alright and as far as the lower carbonation levels in the second batch, give it a couple more weeks to bottle condition and it should improve.

thanks guys. I'm not terribly worried about it. It tastes fine. It just seems weird to me that the one batch is completely fine and this one has the weird filmy stuff. exact same recipe and exact same procedure for both.

The other thing is that its in EVERY single bottle. i did open one after i posted that had more head space and it had carbed fine, got a good 1 inch head. so we shall see

Back