Good Styles for the typical Beer Novice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I'm having a couple parties this summer that will have a bunch of guys who, when we normally gather, drink Bud Light, Heineken, Coors Light, etc...

I'm trying to think of what kind of beers I want to have on tap for these functions -- the goal will be to make it good enough to get drunk off it, but also a style that is friendly to beer novices.

My first thought was to do a simple Blonde/Cream Ale -- but I'd like to consider some other options as well since it seems every other batch is a blonde. Any suggestions?

I'll have 2-3 kegs on tap for the party and given the number of guys coming to the parties, I'd prefer to make them all drinkable.

Thanks boys!

I agree with the cream ale. Can't think of a more user friendly beer. You may also want to brew up a mildly hoppy pale ale. A good Amarillo Pale Ale can change a lot of mids about homebrewed beers. For the heck of it, put together the HBT stand-by, Edwort's Apfelwein. It's easy to make and the ladies love it.

I agree with the cream ale. Can't think of a more user friendly beer. You may also want to brew up a mildly hoppy pale ale. A good Amarillo Pale Ale can change a lot of mids about homebrewed beers. For the heck of it, put together the HBT stand-by, Edwort's Apfelwein. It's easy to make and the ladies love it.

What exactly is the Apfelwein?

Edwort's Haus Pale Ale.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

I did a variation on this, very easy beer to brew, very easy on the hops. I would personally prefer more (and I'm far from a hop head), but I brewed it for a party I'm having in a couple weeks. Figured I'd make something a lot of people would enjoy, and me too for that matter. I'm sure that keg will be emptied at the party. I'm hoping most prefer that to my ESB.

Edwort's Haus Pale Ale.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

I did a variation on this, very easy beer to brew, very easy on the hops. I would personally prefer more (and I'm far from a hop head), but I brewed it for a party I'm having in a couple weeks. Figured I'd make something a lot of people would enjoy, and me too for that matter. I'm sure that keg will be emptied at the party. I'm hoping most prefer that to my ESB.

What commercial beers does this compare to? This may be one I try. I'd like to have a pale ale that is on the low end of the hoppiness spectrum for the style -- a lot like Sweetwater 420.

Minute Wheat. 10 days from pitch to drink. Extremely popular with homebrew n00bs - my mother-in-law told me, "I haven't ever willingly drank home brew, but I'd like another pint!"

Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde
EdWort's Haus Pale Ale
Biermuncher's Impromptu Wit

I tried the Centennial Blonde before and it was consumed in less than a day -- great recipe. If I do another blonde I think I'll try Jamil's next time just to mix it up -- but the Centennial Blonde is a GREAT beer.

I actually don't drink a lot of commercial pale ales so I don't have a great comparison of Edwort's pale ale to a commercial beer. I can say that it isn't near as hoppy as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Maybe it is in line with Dog Fish Head Shelter Pale Ale, been awhile since I had that. The one I brewed was a bit dry (completely missed my mash temp and mashed at 149) which gives it a little bit more crispness. And it has a little bit more sweetness from the malts and slight fruitiness from the ale yeast. I think a lot of this is usually covered up in pale ales with hops.

Problem with that is, he is looking for something this summer, I started my summer Apfelwine over a month ago already, and am expecting it to be September before I break into it.

While it does get better with a little age one it. I have started drinking it at 6-8 weeks and it is still very good.

I did the Centennial Blonde and love it. For a light beer that is. Ok, I just love it.

I think a wheat style is good, and maybe a Belgian Wit style to mix it up. Maybe a pale ale for those who want more hops.

Apfelwein is good, but sort of plain tasting. Very refreshing and crisp and easy to drink and will get you messed up in short order. I'm still aging mine that I made this winter. I forewent the 2 lbs of sugar that the recipe calls for so I don't get that nasty headache next day.

I'm also a hophead, so if there isn't a sampling of some IPA or the ilk, I would be disappointed. Maybe not a popular thing for the uninitiated, but you never know. I have met someone who doesn't like "regular" beer, but actually liked an IPA.

I did the Centennial Blonde and love it. For a light beer that is. Ok, I just love it.

I think a wheat style is good, and maybe a Belgian Wit style to mix it up. Maybe a pale ale for those who want more hops.

Apfelwein is good, but sort of plain tasting. Very refreshing and crisp and easy to drink and will get you messed up in short order. I'm still aging mine that I made this winter. I forewent the 2 lbs of sugar that the recipe calls for so I don't get that nasty headache next day.

I'm also a hophead, so if there isn't a sampling of some IPA or the ilk, I would be disappointed. Maybe not a popular thing for the uninitiated, but you never know. I have met someone who doesn't like "regular" beer, but actually liked an IPA.

Right now I've decided I'm definitely doing an American Pale on the lighter side of the style -- Edwort's Pale Ale is winning that race.

For the other, i'm trying to decide between Kolsch, Blonde, Cream, or Scottish Ale. I've brewed the Blonde and loved it-- but wouldn't mind trying to brew something else.

Those are all good choices. I was just thinking about trying a scottish or Kolsch for my next light. Problem is I got 2-3 beers to make for competitions. oops, probably 4 now, unless I decide to enter the beer in more than one comp.

At this point I think the Scottish is winning simply because I haven't done anything quite like it and I would give me a bit of variety on tap.

Most folks don't expect it, but a good Northern English Brown Ale (e.g., Newcastle) often is a big hit with novice beer drinkers. You just have to get them beyond that "dark beer" thing with a taste. When I pour beer at Saint Arnold, I often give folks a taste of the Brown. They cringe a little when they see the color, but I end up filling their glass at least 90% of the time.

TL

While it does get better with a little age one it. I have started drinking it at 6-8 weeks and it is still very good.

I've got a batch that was thrown in the fermenter the first week of May, bottled yesterday and will be ready for consumption for the 4th of July party. If I can keep SWMBO out of it...:drunk:

If the OP's kegging, he can probably turn out a really tasty batch in six weeks.

Marubozo is that your cat? A Russian Grey? I had 2, Lizzie and Frasier, who both passed away this past year, Lizzie was 17 and Frasier was 14...RIP

Sorry. I don't have a cat. It's just a crop of this image:
i-can-has-cheezburger.jpg

And now, back to your regularly scheduled brewing :mug:

Most folks don't expect it, but a good Northern English Brown Ale (e.g., Newcastle) often is a big hit with novice beer drinkers. You just have to get them beyond that "dark beer" thing with a taste. When I pour beer at Saint Arnold, I often give folks a taste of the Brown. They cringe a little when they see the color, but I end up filling their glass at least 90% of the time.

+1,276. I'm stunned no one else has brought this up. Brown Ale is arguably the most forgiving of styles for a new brewer, and has the added benefit of being very approachable for good-beer neophytes. Dark Mild also qualifies.

Yes, there's the hurdle of the color. But convince them to taste, and they'll be hooked.

Bob

Good point. I often find that the color of a beer will usually determine a BMC drinker's chance of liking it, even before they get to taste it.

I've got a batch that was thrown in the fermenter the first week of May, bottled yesterday and will be ready for consumption for the 4th of July party. If I can keep SWMBO out of it...:drunk:

If the OP's kegging, he can probably turn out a really tasty batch in six weeks.

I have a batch still in primary that I mixed up in March. I think I'll bottle it this week sometime. Maybe I can bottle it during my mash this weekend.

I tried the Centennial Blonde before and it was consumed in less than a day -- great recipe. If I do another blonde I think I'll try Jamil's next time just to mix it up -- but the Centennial Blonde is a GREAT beer.

I've brewed Jamil's twice, its good. we have people over alot, and for people who mostly drink BMC, its a solid recipe. in fact i'm brewing it again in a couple weeks. i usually try to have that/mild or something else that's lower in ABV so i can work around outside afterwork during the week and not get plastered on just a few. and they are good beers to wash yeast from.

Back