Using Super-Kleer KC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axehead

Reaction score
I tried using Super Kleer to clear the batch of Skeeter Pee. It didn't work as well as I had hoped. Here is my process.
I checked the SG for a little over a week, with zero change, SG was .998. I de-gassed two times a day for two days prior to adding the SK. Added the finings as directed on package. A week later, there is a very slight clearing in the wine about 2 inches down from the top of the wine, and a little sediment at the bottom of the carboy. The temp of the wine had been 72* F , I have moved it to a warmer spot, up to 75*F. What can I do other than wait for it to clear? Is adding a second pack of Super Kleer ok?
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I don't have room to put it in the refrigerator, but can try a make shift cold/ice box.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have room to put it in the refrigerator, but can try a make shift cold/ice box.

Here's an idea I've always wanted to try for cold crashing. Get a sleeping bag and slip the carboy into it so that the carboy is sitting upright in the bottom of the bag. Take about 6-8 frozen half gallon jugs/bottles of ice and put them in the sleeping bag with the carboy. Swap out 3-4 of the jugs every 12 hours to keep it nice and cool.

You might end up with a watery mess on your hands, but it'd be a fun experiment to see just how cold you could get it.

I ended up getting a bag from Cool Brewing, and while I haven't used it for cold crashing I did use it to keg my cider.

I had an apple wine half-clear like that after KC. I racked it off the bottom sediment, degassed again, and it cleared up in a few days.

I didn't end up cold crashing yet, but I have racked it twice and it IS clearing! Splashed racked the first time and that helped a lot. Maybe in a week or so I can bottle.

Funny thing about super-kleer, it doesn't always work in 24 hours ad advertised, nor does ti do things for stuff like pectin hazes. I'd hit it with some pectic enzyme, let that do it's thing, cold crash and rack off the goop left behind. Sometimes it'll just take a lot more time unfortunately. I had a batch of mead go cloudy since I backsweetened after stabilizing and then hit it with super-kleer. Still hazy from the backsweetening and nothing I could do but wait, wait, wait..

Back