False Bottom BK Bottom Drain Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm currently building an E-HERMS setup. I'm using 3 keggles but instead of using a diptube I'm using a bottom drain for two main reasons:

1) Ease of cleaning in place
2) Improve efficiency due to less wort being left in the keg

For the MT I plan on using the jaybird false bottom. Not sure what level filter stand I want to use below it but most likely two or three.

My biggest concern is the BK. What are you guys doing to minimize the cold break and any other trub from escaping the BK. I'm using a plate chiller to cool the wort and will be using a hop spider to contain the hop pellets

I'm currently building an E-HERMS setup. I'm using 3 keggles but instead of using a diptube I'm using a bottom drain for two main reasons:

1) Ease of cleaning in place
2) Improve efficiency due to less wort being left in the keg

For the MT I plan on using the jaybird false bottom. Not sure what level filter stand I want to use below it but most likely two or three.

My biggest concern is the BK. What are you guys doing to minimize the cold break and any other trub from escaping the BK. I'm using a plate chiller to cool the wort and will be using a hop spider to contain the hop pellets

In your MLT save your money and just use the level 1 stand. Its the best for the money for the MLT. Now for the boil kettle a 15" reverse hinge and a level 3 is the way to go. It will strip out most all the cold break and the pellet hops. Its nice because you then get the freedom to toss the pellet hops directly in the kettle.

Cheers
Jay

I am almost done with my E-HERMS (leak testing tonight). I have a hop spider but am looking at Jaybird's solutions.
@Jaybird
How tall would the filter stand have to be in a upside down keg to work with a 15" false bottom?

I am almost done with my E-HERMS (leak testing tonight). I have a hop spider but am looking at Jaybird's solutions.
@Jaybird
How tall would the filter stand have to be in a upside down keg to work with a 15" false bottom?

The level stands work in the inverted kegs too. So to answer your question 1 3/8"
Cheers
Jay

I purchased the false bottom and stand and it does not fit for an upside down bottom drain keg. There is a significant gap between the stand and the false bottom.

image.jpg

I purchased the false bottom and stand and it does not fit for an upside down bottom drain keg. There is a significant gap between the stand and the false bottom.

Dr What kind of keg is that? I run inverted kegs too and mine fit perfectly. I have probably only sold a few hundred of those for bottom draining kegs with out any issues. I am curious what brand keg that is so I can add it to the database. Shoot me a PM and lets get it fixed for you. Some inverted kegs will have a small gap that is totally acceptable because the FB will push down on it and hold it there. But that is pretty major.
PM me your name so I can look up your order.

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back