Must have brew books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Looking to improve my brews...so need to see what is out there. What must have brewing/yeast/fermenting books do you all have in your libraries? I was looking to place an amazon order soon, and figured I'd pick up a few. Thanks!

Jeff

The more I brew the less time I spend with the books. I find many to be more technical than I want and others to be too simple. How to Brew is good & Radical Brewing is more fun and interesting.

Best bet is to see if your library system has some of the books and borrow them. Then go buy the ones you think you want as a reference. Everyone of the books in post#3 were available to me at the Library.

Brewing Better Beer by Gordon Strong is quickly becoming a favorite.

Also on the horizon is "Water" by Colin Kaminski ( Brewer at Downtown Joe's in Napas ) and John Palmer I believe.

My favorites are John Palmer's How to Brew and Ray Daniel's Designing Great Beers. Two great books for brewers starting out and to reference in the future when you need a resource.

Brewing classic styles is always a great start

+1 on this.

If you could only had one book and could read Palmers "How to Brew" online, then Brewing Classic Styles would be the book to have.

I work in a bookstore, and all of the suggested titles so far are great. If I had to narrow it down to just three I'd say "How to brew", "Brewing Classic Styles", and "Brew Better Beer"

I love Radical Brewing by Mosher, probably my favorite brewing book. Especially if you already have a good grasp on brewing techniques. Designing Great Beers by Daniels is good for recipe formulation if you are trying to "brew to style". Currently reading Gordon Strong's book and I really like it.

Back