How much did you pay for your turkey fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
the cheapest i saw one in stores was $50 at meijers today everyone else seems around $60. i know bass pro is $40 but it will cost $10 shipping and i'm not about to drive 2 hours round trip to get one. I'm not really in a hurry because I probably won't use it until spring but want to pick one up soon because they will probably have sales after thanksgiving or maybe before

I paid 25 for mine at Meijer's or maybe Kroger's in late October/early November a couple years back, seems they were getting ready to stock a newer, an consequently more expensive, model for the Thanksgiving holiday, so they deep discounted the older model to clear them out. Look along the back wall where the seasonal stuff is, and you may be surprised, they may be moving last year's fall stuff out of the way to shuffle the summer stuff, like BBq's off the main part of the floor and into "seasonal" so the really old stuff may be on deep clearance.

Why not just buy a $40 SQ14, and a 34qt pot at walmart for $25. Its a little more money, but you won't have to replace any of it.

I already have a 32qt pot. I was looking to get another pot I could use for brew in a bag until spring comes around and i can use my turkey fryer on the deck without freezing my ass off. was hoping to get one with a pot. the one at meijers was $50

edit i don't want a cheap POS maybe I will save my money for when I will actually use it or buy a bayou classic if there is a sale. they seem to be the best brand right?

edit i don't want a cheap POS maybe I will save my money for when I will actually use it or buy a bayou classic if there is a sale. they seem to be the best brand right?

What's your definitition of a cheap POS??? I haven't seen anything that I would regard as that in the marketplace, considering they are meant at the minimum to hold gallons of near flaming boiling oil and several pounds of turkey without taking out the cook and anyone around him. You have to remember their INTENDED use. You aren't going to find "junk" out there.

I've used mine for 4 years now with no issues whatsoever. Most of them out there have the same cast burner, so you really don't find much variation in them.

What's your definitition of a cheap POS??? I haven't seen anything that I would regard as that in the marketplace, considering they are meant at the minimum to hold gallons of near flaming boiling oil and several pounds of turkey without taking out the cook and anyone around him. You have to remember their INTENDED use. You aren't going to find "junk" out there.

I've used mine for 4 years now with no issues whatsoever. Most of them out there have the same cast burner, so you really don't find much variation in them.
which one do you use if you don't mind me asking?

allright thanks. only thing keeping me back from ordering one now is thought that they will get cheaper after thanksgiving or someone will try to sell a 1 time used one on craigslist after thanksgiving

allright thanks. only thing keeping me back from ordering one now is thought that they will get cheaper after thanksgiving or someone will try to sell a 1 time used one on craigslist after thanksgiving

Exactly.....

I have one brew buddy who finds them at Garage sales or CL for dirt cheap and then sells them to other homebrewers around the same price I paid for mine. I've hooked 3 brewers up with him who have got nice, nearly virgin ones for 25 bucks a pop....Without kettle though....You couldn't get me to use a deflowered kettle that had oil and turkey's in them.

But yeah I bet if you walked into any big box store on black Friday, you will find them for close to half the price they were the day before Thanksgiving. That's one of the interesting things about this sigular purpose item.

I bought a Bayou Classic SP-10 on Amazon for $40. I see now it's up to $50 which I'm guessing is due to turkey day just around the corner.

yeah i think i will wait unless i see a deal too good to pass up. i would hate myself if i bought one now and the day after thanksgiving they dropped significantly

I got mine on craigslist for $30. The guy used it once a few years ago for a turkey and never since. I scrubbed the $hit out of it and soaked it in oxyclea to get it back to new condition. Then I boiled water for an hour to get rough timing estimates and reoxidize the thing.

I was just at WalMArt earlier today, they have the 30-qt. setup on sale for $45, not sure for how long the sale will last.

30 bucks at a yard sale just the other day.
and it was still wrapped in cardboard and plastic, bran new :D

I don't remember how much I paid, but I bought the square on at Walmart a couple of years back. It's a little more stable than the round one I had before that. I use it to heat my 15 gallon boil kettle with no problems.

I paid $68 CDN at Walmart for nice and well build Lobster/crab/crawfish combo. Very nice 42 qt alluminium pot will easy allow for full boils. I was considering 30 qt before but glad I opted for 42 qt

Wait til after the holidays if you can. I got a 30qt turkey fryer from Home Depot this last Feb and it was $20. Had to rig it though because theres a stupid button on the stand where the pot sits and there has to be weight on it in order for the gas to start... It was just one wire i had to bypass.

allright cool. no big hurry really it's too cold to actually use the burner right now. just figured it would be a good time to buy 1

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Sho...1271/-1530748&cm_sp=FallHarvestSaleOct2010_HM

went ahead and ordered that one. if you reccomend it it's good enough for me. figure $50 shipped is about the cheapest i'm going to get. and also i really want some fried turkey on thanksgiving. can i use the pot for that and still use it for homebrewing?

Yes, but you'll want to boil a couple of batches of water in it for ~1 hour each alternating with a PBW soak to get rid of the oil/turkey flavors it'll impart to the aluminum.

$40 for a new 30qt fryer on craigslist , Walmart has propane fryers with 30qt pots for $45.00 plus tax
I picked up a 23 jet tip flame thrower for Natural gas for $25 and its going to get hooked up to my NG stub in my backyard.

another $40 for a 60QT heavy gauge aluminum Brinkmann pot from homedepot

total cost

$40 turkey fryer kit
$25 for 23 tip flame thrower
$40 for 60QT pot
$12 for NG quick connect fitting to attach to house
$12 for 25' 1/2" heavy duty rubber hose.

$130 in boiling gear. I still need to buy my bottling buckets and primary buckets and make a counterflow chiller.

-=Jason=-

$60 + tax @ HD minus 10% military discount $54.00. That's one of the benefits of living here in NY, pay more for everything.

Gee, I spent alot more! But around here, turkery fryers are not in the local stores. So I got a 36 quart(9 gallon) stainless steel pot (no boil-overs here!) for $70 with shipping, and a single burner (55,000 BTU) on a waist high stand with wind guards for about $45 from Costco (wish I bought the dual or triple burner one!)

The problem I saw with the all-in-one turkey fryer combos is they are almost always 7.5 gallons, which is not enough headspace for a big, all-grain IPA where there is a lot of hops and a 90 minute boil. 7 plus gallons plus 1/2 pound of hops in a 7.5 gallon pot does not work!

Rich

Yes, but you'll want to boil a couple of batches of water in it for ~1 hour each alternating with a PBW soak to get rid of the oil/turkey flavors it'll impart to the aluminum.

Mmmmmm Turkey Smoked Ale dry-hopped with Cooking Oil. SOUNDS DELICIOUS.

like others have said, wait till close or after thanksgiving and you will find turkey fryer setups for ~$30 Usually a basic round stand with a 7.5G aluminum pot.

I spent about 40 shipped for mine, the issue is it doesn't get 6-7 gallons of wort to a rolling boil. I bought the bayou SP10 which supposedly produces 185,000 btu's. Anyone have any experience with this burner?

i got 5 gallons of water boiling on the bass pro shop one in around half hour at medium-high flame. figure 6-6.5 won't be much problem. stand seems sturdy and doesn't seem to use much propane. my tank was almost empty after the summer. so much so that i could lift it with no effort. but i still managed to use the flame for an hour with gas to spare. i'm not really worried about time to be honest a lawn chair and my netbook will be great. just surf the boards during the wait

i got 5 gallons of water boiling on the bass pro shop one in around half hour at medium-high flame. figure 6-6.5 won't be much problem. stand seems sturdy and doesn't seem to use much propane. my tank was almost empty after the summer. so much so that i could lift it with no effort. but i still managed to use the flame for an hour with gas to spare. i'm not really worried about time to be honest a lawn chair and my netbook will be great. just surf the boards during the wait

Oh I missed it, you ended up finding one? How much did you end up paying?

$14.94 at Target on clearance, a couple weeks after thanksgiving a couple years ago. Came with big aluminum pot, thermometer, strainer basket, etc (all of which I've never used) but the burner is pretty nice!

Latest posts

Back