I didn't smack the pack hard enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysim

Reaction score
I forgot to check the Wyeast pack after I smacked it.

The small bag of nutrients inside didn't break

I poured it the wort anyways.

24 hours later, no bubbles or krausen.

Do I need to add more yeast or should I wait and for how long?

I've never used a smack pack before.

That could cause a pretty significant lag. The nutrients provide foodz for the yeast to have healthy and fast reproduction. The absence of the smack pack means the yeast have entered the wort commando, which is fine. They're gonna probably take a bit longer to ramp up to fermentation quantities. I'd wait a few days and you'll probably see plenty of bubbles.

agreed...they're probably just waking up. 72 hours after pitching is when you might start to get anxious.

If you aerated well, you should be fine. They're multiplying. Listen close and you'll hear your yeast humping. Seriously. Give them some privacy and they'll get to work when they're done.

I had the same problem with a Wyeast smack pack that didn't essplode, but I pitched it anyway into the wort, and the yeast got the hint and did the job. So don't worry about it until 77 hours or so, as the Decepticon said.

I forgot to check the Wyeast pack after I smacked it.

The small bag of nutrients inside didn't break

I poured it the wort anyways.

24 hours later, no bubbles or krausen.

Do I need to add more yeast or should I wait and for how long?

I've never used a smack pack before.

That is the reason I am not a big fan of the Wyeast smack pac. I have it happen to me before. Not to hard to screw up on a screw top lid from White Lab.

That is the reason I am not a big fan of the Wyeast smack pac. I have it happen to me before. Not to hard to screw up on a screw top lid from White Lab.

Yeah, but by pouring the yeast out without proofing it, he basically got the exact same things as emptying a White Labs vial into his wort. Moot point.

Not in my case I always make a starter on my stir plate.

But it's still the same thing. Pouring a whitlabs vial in to you starter and pouring an unsmacked Wyeast pack in. Same result. Smacking the pack first just gives you an idea if the yeast are still kickin' around in there or not.

If you aerated well, you should be fine. They're multiplying. Listen close and you'll hear your yeast humping. Seriously. Give them some privacy and they'll get to work when they're done.

HAHAHAHA Thats great

From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

Montanaandy

Back