something doesn't look right...pic of beer in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
i haven't seen this before. my tenth batch, first partial mash recipe. this is an ipa and pitched s-04 dried yeast. the only thing i was worried about is i found a termite in my cooled wort before transferred to primary, i got it out with a sanitized spoon. primary fermentation was 7 days at 62 degrees. it tasted fine when it went into the secondary. this is an ipa and pitched s-04 dried yeast. its been 4 days in the secondary still at 62 and i noticed this today. i lifted the air lock, took a wiff and smells fine. this just don't look right.

img00653581883.jpg

img00643577213.jpg

img00663572393.jpg

That looks like the effects of racking a beer too soon, while fermentation wasn't complete, or complete enough....that is a new krausen forming on top. That often happens to folks who just arbitraily rack to secondary on some fixed plan like the 1-2-3 rule..that doesn't actually take into consideration lag time or the time a yeast actually needs.

You will find that many of us either skip secondary altogether and leaves our beer in primary for 3-4 weeks, to allow the yeast to clean up after itself, or wait til our hydrometer tells us fermetnation is complete before racking to secondary..or just wait two weeks to give the yeast time.

Your beer is fine.

just check my notes. 8 days in primary. og was 1.074 and FG when i racked to secondary was 1.020 (estimated was 1.019). this one definatly fermented fast. if you guys say its ok your probably right

Back