Pumpkin help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJekyll-HomeBrew

Reaction score
Hi I recently made a pumpkin ale reciepe and i was undecided on the amount of spices to use. I decided before brewing to use one half a tablespoon of cinnamon, one quarter tablespoon of nutmeg and ginger, and one eighth tablespoon of all-spice. The brew is in the primary and i am going to secondary it this weekend. Did I use a bit too much spice or right on? I am also interested in using clove maybe next batch. How would this affect the taste, smell, and what are its aspects?

edit: I am also pondering the introduction of pumpkin in the process. I have read many receipes that people add it in the mashing process,but i decided to add it at the beginning of the boil. How will this affect the taste or any aspect?

I have had trouble finding accurate measuring spoons in table(1,1/2,1/4,and1/8), so i converted then into tsp. One and half of a tablespoon equals 1 + 1/2 tsp. One quarter of a table equals 1/2 + 1/4 tsp. one and eighth of a table equals 1/4 + 1/8 tsp.

I did a pumpkin spice porter a month ago. For a 5 gallon batch, I boiled a teaspoon each of nutmeg, cinnamon and all-spice in the last 5 minutes of the boil. The beer turned out great, but the all-spice was a bit much. Next time, I'd use maybe 1/2 tsp for all-spice, but leave the nutmeg and cinnamon where they're at.

I used almost a full teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice (a pre-made mixture of all the ingredients you describe, available at the grocery store), at 5 min boil time. Then, I tasted it right before I added priming sugar for bottling and decided it needed a bit more. So i added half a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the priming sugar solution. It came out perfect.

So....my advice would be to put less spice than you think in the boil, and add according to taste later on in your fermentation/bottling process. Remember, you can only go up in spice, its a one way street.

Back