Adding yeast during priming phase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FormulaQ

Reaction score
So, this idea literally randomly came to me and i was wondering if anyone has ever done it or knows what would happen. What would happen if after fermentation, you add a bit more of yeast along with the priming sugar used to carbonate the beer? (Add beer with priming sugar/tablets, pitch a bit of yeast, seal bottles.) This would potentially raise the alcohol a little more while carbonating also, right? Would this affect the taste negatively? What other effects would it have? Does yeast produce more CO2 during fermentation than sugar without yeast? Thanks so much guys!

EDIT: C-Rider answered my question but it only raises a new one. Arent most 2nd hydrometer readings taken after fermentation but before carbonation? If so, shouldnt the carbonation also produce slightly more alcohol in the beer? (meaning the marked ABV hadnt taken into that small amount of alcohol during the carbonation process, thus being slightly inaccurate)

Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate it.

Yes, bottle conditioning will raise the ABV% of your brew. But a minuscule amount.

For your original question, like C-Rider said, there is usually more than enough yeast already in suspension to carbonate your bottles. However, many high ABV beers, like Belgian Strongs and Barley Wines, do require a second infusion of fresh yeast at bottling. Most yeast do not like a high ABV environment, so it is not uncommon for a brewery to use a different (more alcohol tolerant) yeast for bottle conditioning. This is also why on a home brew scale we try not to reuse yeast from a previous brew if it was used on a high ABV beer.

Cheers!

Arent most 2nd hydrometer readings taken after fermentation but before carbonation? If so, shouldnt the carbonation also produce slightly more alcohol in the beer? (meaning the marked ABV hadnt taken into that small amount of alcohol during the carbonation process, thus being slightly inaccurate).

Technically, you're right... but you're talking very little (to the point it's not worth measuring or recipe-factoring for most brewers).

The math, if you really care, comes out to somewhere between 0.3 and 0.4 percent if using exactly 5oz corn sugar in an exact 5 gallon batch. When I used to measure, at the end, my average was 0.32 percent increase because of bottle conditioning...... So... you're talking less than one third of one percent...... not worth the effort to measure anymore! :)

Cheers! :mug:

Latest posts

Back