50-50 Eclipses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I found a local beer shop that has 5 or 6 different versions of Fifty-Fifty Eclipse. 22oz wax-topped bottles @ $35 apiece. I'm not familiar with this beer or brewery. Are these worth picking up?

I found a local beer shop that has 5 or 6 different versions of Fifty-Fifty eclipse. 22 oz wax-topped bottles @ $35 apiece. I'm not familiar with this beer or brewery. Are these worth picking up?

What color wax are they dipped in?

I wouldn't just buy em all. But you'll get bites. Then go get the ones you need.

Fifty-Fifty is in Truckee, CA (Near Lake Tahoe). They brew Eclipse (imperial stout) once a year and then age it for six months in different whiskey barrels. The wax color indicated what kind of barrel it is from.

http://www.fiftyfiftybrewing.com/index.php?pg=styleguide

They sell futures and the beer is often hard to find, but this year seems to be more available.

FermentNEthinG said:
I am looking for the Elijah Craig 12 year if you happen across one.....!

I believe they had that one. I do not remember all the different barrels, but, like I said, there were maybe 5 or 6 different colored waxes - I only remember blue and gold for certain though.

Elijah Craig is purple...

ForumRunner_20130701_215558.jpg

Black, purple and white are worth picking up especially the purple and white. I only got to taste the black this year unfortunately. Next year FYI they do futures where they are only about $21 dollars half up front with rest at pickup late winter. Though now I think about shipping would kill savings.

White is Elijah Craig 20 yr. Not to be confused with beige, which is bernheim wheat.

Whats white wax??

Do these guys live up to the pricetag?

I've heard mixed opinions. I have traded 2 bottles (elijah craig and evan williams) and have a four roses left. Still haven't had any, so I can't give my own opinion. I haven't seen them for less than $30.

That's a pretty good price for them that far away, they tend to be about as expensive in CA... I have never bit the bullet because personally that seems like way too much money for 220z of beer. 20 is getting up there for my limit on these sorts of things. I have had ti on tap a couple times and it is quite tasty but I can't recall which ones I have tasted at the moment. I do believe I had the Craig which was quite good.

Ok, so I called the shop and this is what they have:

Black - Evan Williams
Gold - Mellow Gold
Purple - Elijah Craig 12-yr
Green - Rittenhouse
Blue - Old Fitzgerald

So, looks like maybe I'll head back for at least a Purple, and maybe a Black...not sure I can justify buying more than that (and even that is a big stretch!)

Jlem what are you looking for in trade? I'm in the Midwest, IL to be exact. Let me know what you're interested in.

Jlem what are you looking for in trade? I'm in the Midwest, IL to be exact. Let me know what you're interested in.

I've seen these in a couple Chicago Area stores for $35 collecting dust on shelves. I'm always tempted, but $35 is a bit high for me...I don't think people know about 50/50 out here, even though the head brewer came from Flossmoor Station.

I'd be happy to consider trades, though I really am new to the whole idea of trading commercial beers - I don't really know enough to know what to ask for in trade. I've just been collecting things that look good to me in my local shops,

JLem said:
I'd be happy to consider trades, though I really am new to the whole idea of trading commercial beers - I don't really know enough to know what to ask for in trade. I've just been collecting things that look good to me in my local shops,

I would say try for a $4$ trade if you feel that would be most fair. What are your favorite types of beers? Anything you've wanted to try but don't have access to?

Well, I just found a second, different, bottle shop that is also carrying these...not quite the selection nor the quantity, but cheaper ($30). It seems to me that perhaps these are not as rare around here as I had originally thought.

JLem said:
Well, I just found a second, different, bottle shop that is also carrying these...not quite the selection nor the quantity, but cheaper ($30). It seems to me that perhaps these are not as rare around here as I had originally thought.

It may not be rare to you. But it can be rare to others outside of the distribution area. I have zero access to 50-50 stuff.

MrNickVT said:
It may not be rare to you. But it can be rare to others outside of the distribution area. I have zero access to 50-50 stuff.

I hear you. Guess I'm just being gun-shy over the price. PM me if you have a trade suggestion...I like pretty much all styles, sour/funky included. Like I mentioned before...I don't really know what I should be looking for that I can't get here.

I hear you. Guess I'm just being gun-shy over the price. PM me if you have a trade suggestion...I like pretty much all styles, sour/funky included. Like I mentioned before...I don't really know what I should be looking for that I can't get here.

Go to one of the beer rating sites. Look at their top 100 beers. Start there. Some you won't be able to get. You've got access to a $30 beer that others want to try, so you can get $30 worth from someone else.

Last time I checked I could get Blue, Black, and Gold for $28 at my go to bottle shop. Even though that's not a bad price for what it is they kinda just sit on the shelf there and collect dust. They're good for trading, though, because only a few states get FiftyFifty distributed to them, and alot of people want to try it. I've had Black, and it's a great BA stout. I'd rather spend less for a Parabola or some KBS, but it's definitely good stuff.

Okay well this might help I had rare beer tasting I hosted where we had some heady, hill farm, hunahpu, 2 cascade sours, fruet, and black wax eclipse of the 7 of us most rated it number 2 with a third or two. Overall it was second only heady on most peoples ratings.

For those local yeah I'd only buy maybe two at $30 since it is such a premium price compared to stuff like parabola and bcbs but if you order futures they are only 21 dollars or so which I'd pay that price all day. In fact I ordered a mix case of 2013 futures =]

I would check out the maw thread and see what people are asking for. That will give you an idea of what expensive/rare beers are popular out there.

I would check out the maw thread and see what people are asking for. That will give you an idea of what expensive/rare beers are popular out there.

I was offered two Heady 4-packs for a bottle of Evan Williams Eclipse on this site. Everything is relative...you just need to find somebody who wants what you have and has something you want.

Back