Vorlaufing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qdog

Reaction score
We just finished our first AG brew today. We're using a converted (rectangular) cooler with a CPVC manifold for our MLT. All of our runnings for our vorlauf had small husk remnants in it. It wasn't a lot of remnants and the husk particles were not large, but I was just wondering how much is 'normal?' Our manifold has slots drilled in it (about 1/16" slot size) spaced about 1/4"-1/2" apart.

Thanks.

'Vorlauf' means recirculate; did you pour the first couple of quarts of your runnings back into the MLT? This will help set the grain bed and get the smaller particles on top where the husks and larger particles can filter them out.

What flyangler18 said. Q, it's normal to get some particles and small chunks but as you recirculate those solids should be trapped in the matrix filter bed of the mash. After recirculating several pints of wort the runoff should be almost 100% free of visible particles.

Me and Q brewed together eysterday. We took a total of 6 pints each time we vorlaufed between batch sparges (2 pints at a time, slowly pouring the runnings back over the bed). I guess we'll just have to take more runnings next time. My main concern was that our manifold had slots that were too big.

Me and Q brewed together eysterday. We took a total of 6 pints each time we vorlaufed between batch sparges (2 pints at a time, slowly pouring the runnings back over the bed). I guess we'll just have to take more runnings next time. My main concern was that our manifold had slots that were too big.

Usually 2 quarts (I use a 2 quart pitcher) does it for me, but occasionally it takes a bit more. So, I think 6 pints might be just a tad too little. Your manifold might have large slots, but it still should clear up eventually.

My advice would be to vorlauf as much as you need until it's clear of visible particles....that could mean 2 quarts or that could mean over a gallon. I don't think the slotting in your manifold is too large. How do you have the slots oriented? Down, I hope!

yes they are pointed down.

Thanks for the input guys....

Back