How long does carbination go on for in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
I bottled my first beer a dubbel and has been in bottles for three weeks. Now I tried at one week very flat as expected.
Three weeks, more yeast on bottom of bottles, a slight but noticeable 'pop' when opening. A head on the beer after the pour which quickly disappeared.

Will carbonation get better after 3 weeks?

PS: bottles stored at 68-70 degrees.

basically, they will carbonate until the yeasties run out of food. IIRC (I force carbonate and use a beer gun for bottles now) after about 3-4 weeks they are about done

You could try shaking them just a little to get the yeast back into suspension, but I'm guessing 2 things:

1...raise the temp of where they are conditioning (move them to a warmer spot) and

2...(what I really think is the problem)...dubbels are big beers and 3 weeks is not nearly enough time...I'd give it 6-8 weeks. Mine are almost 1 year old and tasting great. ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
2...(what I really think is the problem)...dubbels are big beers and 3 weeks is not nearly enough time...I'd give it 6-8 weeks. Mine are almost 1 year old and tasting great. ;)

Yep....Three weeks is usually enough for a "NORMAL" gravity beer, but for a dubble, we're talking weeks to months here....

Brew something smaller to have something to drink while you wait.:mug:

Revvy said:
Yep....Three weeks is usually enough for a "NORMAL" gravity beer, but for a dubble, we're talking weeks to months here....

Brew something smaller to have something to drink while you wait.:mug:

Good call! Thats what I would do.

Back