My first lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jselk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a first time poster but long time lurker / brewer.

I decided to make my first lambic recently and wanted to share it!

Brewed on 7/29:
3lbs LME Wheat
3lbs DME Pilsen
1oz Hallertau
60 minute boil for all of the above and pitched Wyeast 3278 lambic blend.

Today, 9/2, I added about 13lbs of tart cherries. I started by draining out the water from the cans and adding the cherries into a sanitized pitcher. I then dumped the cherries right into the primary. I wasn't concerned about saving the yeast and I had a good idea how to avoid too exposing too much oxygen. I pumped CO2 into the carboy as I dumped in the cherries through a funnel (which took forever, they essentially had to go in 1 at a time).

The pics show how little head room I have in a 6 gallon carboy. I'm not terribly thrilled about it but we'll see how it goes. I'll probably thief out a pint or two next week to both add some more head room and taste / measure progress.

Quality control approves:

IMG_20120825_114551.jpg

IMG_20120902_143433.jpg

IMG_20120902_144821.jpg

IMG_20120902_151525.jpg

IMG_20120902_151620.jpg

Cool I am looking to do something very close to this except all grain very soon. Did you taste prior to adding. Cherries?

Added the cherries way too early but there's nothing you can do about it this time.
I might have gotten impatient, but the SG was already pretty low (1.012 at 3 weeks) and at time of adding the cherries there was already a nice acidic aroma. Time will tell, I suppose. What would be the differences between a lambic aged 1 year adding cherries at 6 months and an exact same lambic aged 1 year adding cherries after 1 month? I would think the longer the cherries are in the lambic, the less sweetness you'll have but more cherry taste/cherry tartness and aroma. Thoughts?

Cool I am looking to do something very close to this except all grain very soon. Did you taste prior to adding. Cherries?
Yes they were cherries. And no I didn't taste, only checked the aroma (a nice, healthy acid smell was present at 5 weeks). I tasted at 3 weeks and it was a little sweet and just a hint of finishing sour with no acid aroma.

Hate to say it man but I think you're rushing this along way too quickly. You should wait a MINIMUM of 6 months before adding fruit. It should also be done when the beer tastes ready. The fruit flavor will fade with time and I can almost promise the base isn't there yet.

Good news is you can always add more cherries.

I wait a year before even thinking about fruit. You know, let the beer tell you what fruit it needs (if any). Lambics are a weird thing... some could work well with cherries, sometimes raspberries are better and sometimes they really just don't need any fruit at all.

Just my $0.02.

I'll probably pull out a little to test in a few months or so. I want to taste how the flavors change over time. But if I have to add more cherries later on its no big deal. Here's a pic of her churning away.

ForumRunner_20120907_170737.jpg

I figured I'd update this thread since this beer had a big weekend!

Nothing changed with this beer than what's above. My next steps were bottling it on 5/7/14 to a little under 2 volumes of CO2 and tossing in some champagne yeast for good measure.

This past weekend, almost 3 years since I brewed this beer, my kriek won Best Of Show in The Brew Hut's Annual Homebrew Competition scoring a 45/50! I can post the tasting notes if anyone is interested (after I pick them up this weekend).

I figured I'd update this thread since this beer had a big weekend!

Nothing changed with this beer than what's above. My next steps were bottling it on 5/7/14 to a little under 2 volumes of CO2 and tossing in some champagne yeast for good measure.

This past weekend, almost 3 years since I brewed this beer, my kriek won Best Of Show in The Brew Hut's Annual Homebrew Competition scoring a 45/50! I can post the tasting notes if anyone is interested (after I pick them up this weekend).

Dude congrats that's awesome. Did u end up adding more cherries? :)

Back