Fermenting Lager Yeast at Ale Yeast Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barticus76

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing (working on my second batch) and I just realized that I am fermenting at around 68-70 degrees with White Labs Oktoberfest lager yeast (WLP820). I understand that this yeast, like all lager yeast, are usually used to ferment at a much lower temperature. My batch has been going for about 5 days now. Will the higher temperature taint my final product? Should I leave it at the 68-70 degree temp or lower it down to a cooler temperature?

Any help, advice or suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

That is called a steam beer. Basically using lager yeast without using the cooler lager yeast temps. You can definitely leave it at that temp and make good tasting beer. You could also lower the temp to lager. It is really up to you. Why not just leave it and see how it comes out?

Thanks for the advice, h22lude. I read about steam beer (like Anchor Steam) but wasn't sure if it was specific to certain statins of lager yeast. I think I will let it be and see what happens.

Back